Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Fear of public speaking at wedding...

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM
  • 18 Replies

I'm getting married this Saturday (two more days) and I have a terrible fear of public speaking.  I also have this irrational fear of walking down the aisle.  I know everybody that's going to be there but I'm still terrified.

Have any of you experienced this?  Any tips on how to get over it or deal with it?

by on May. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beeky
by Alexandra on May. 16, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I was very nervous about walking down the aisle but my fil gave me a shot of vodka which worked wonders lol.

AlannaMaria
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

i was nervous too. I think that's totally normal. You will be fine once you get up there :) congrats!!

mommy2two25
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM
I have a fear of public speaking too... I also was very nervous to walk down the aisle. I was scared I'd trip or fall on my face or screw up the words. When it was happening It felt like no one else was in the room except dh & I. My nerves went away & everything went perfect :)
HeadKrobe8789
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Oh I know I'm going to trip.  I can somehow trip when I'm standing still.  I'm very accident prone. 

Quoting mommy2two25:

I have a fear of public speaking too... I also was very nervous to walk down the aisle. I was scared I'd trip or fall on my face or screw up the words. When it was happening It felt like no one else was in the room except dh & I. My nerves went away & everything went perfect :)

MomToovey
by Marianne on May. 16, 2013 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I can't help you with your fear of walking down the aisle, but I can help you with your fear of public speaking. You're not saying your vows for the guests. You're saying them for your husband. The only person who needs to hear what you're saying is him. Forget everyone else.

tiredme
by on May. 17, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I had the same problem.  I did not speak (left that up to dh) and walking down the isle I focused on dh and did not look anywhere else.  It also helps to be prepared to laugh at yourself (or someone else), at my wedding I was so nervous and I think my bil noticed (he was the best man) so he made a joke during the ceremony and we couldn't help but laugh, it really helped with my nerves.

justpeachy71904
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 6:58 AM

girl, i was so nervous look at my death grip on my sisters hand, and my eyes were closed! i never even saw my groom! omg haha. 100% normal. but congrats! and you do NOT have to give a speech, we did not but the parents did and the best man and maid of honor did. ;)

Mommabearbergh
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 7:01 AM
I was walked down the aisle by both parents and I just pretty much told myself get to the alter just get there
rockinmomto2
by on May. 17, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Just remember to breathe. Everyone who is there wants to see you get married because they love you. No one is judging you, no one wants you to fail. I get performance anxiety which makes it almost impossible to do anything infront of any group of people no matter how much they love me. I now have to take a beta blocker, and it works WONDERS.

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on May. 17, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I am not afraid of public speaking nor was I nervous to walk down the aisle, but I can still relate because I suffer from extreme anxiety and panic disorder in a vast array of other areas of life. One thing my therapist taught me which sounds contradictory to helping the anxiety but actually helps is: Think of the worst case scenario... what if it happens? Lets say you do trip (although I really doubt you will)... if you do trip what is the worst thing that will happen?

Well you MIGHT think people will think you look foolish but actually their hearts would probably go out to you, everyone roots for the bride on her special day! It would just make you even more endearing to them and they would probably feel protective of you. Some brides would think something like that would ruin their wedding memories, video or photos but honestly we had a few goof ups at my dream wedding especially bc of our 5 kids and some random strangers that would have upset some brides, but not me bc now when we see those things on the video and photos, we all giggle and it makes the video and photos more fun and enjoyable and special, perfect weddings that go off without a hitch like almost everyone elses wedding can sometimes come off as a bit (dare I say it? boring?) mistakes and slip ups can add character and a fun element to it if you know how to laugh it off then everyone else will roll with the punches too. And you would STILL  have a perfect day with a funny little story to share with your grandkids someday see that wouldnt be so bad?

Quoting HeadKrobe8789:

Oh I know I'm going to trip.  I can somehow trip when I'm standing still.  I'm very accident prone. 

Quoting mommy2two25:

YVONNE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)