Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Ordering wedding attire?

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM
  • 9 Replies
Ok so I'm so excited! I know most of you ladies have helped me with getting married and how to help with my parents but I am now in the clear to start planning! My parents want to see some things come together but they now see no problem in starting to plan. So I found online a wedding dress and a couple other things that I abaolutly love and it is in our budget but they don't have a store. They do everything online. What I want to know is did you order your wedding attire for you and or your wedding party online and did you have a good experience or should I stay as far from online as possible. Thx ladies!
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
holmes212
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:56 PM
i did not i went to a bridal shop. but i will say this you can have just as many problems at a shop as you could online. my bf is getting married soon and we are ordering our bridesmaids dresses off line. my only concern would be is the size because alterations are very costly and the color scheme can look completely different. good luck and congrats :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylahk
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Those were my main concerns but they have you measure each part so they can custom make it do there is no small, medium, and large. They also specify that they leave extra in the seam which being a sewer myself means that if the dress needs to be taken out a little than that's doable. My mom knows and does a lot of hemming and taking things in or letting them out. Thank you

Quoting holmes212:

i did not i went to a bridal shop. but i will say this you can have just as many problems at a shop as you could online. my bf is getting married soon and we are ordering our bridesmaids dresses off line. my only concern would be is the size because alterations are very costly and the color scheme can look completely different. good luck and congrats :)

holmes212
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:14 PM
also to get a train done on your dress can be costly. unless you dont plan to do one

Quoting Kaylahk:

Those were my main concerns but they have you measure each part so they can custom make it do there is no small, medium, and large. They also specify that they leave extra in the seam which being a sewer myself means that if the dress needs to be taken out a little than that's doable. My mom knows and does a lot of hemming and taking things in or letting them out. Thank you

Quoting holmes212:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylahk
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM
The dress itself has a chapel train I believe. It has a nice size built in train and I really was never interested in one of the really long ones.

Quoting holmes212:

also to get a train done on your dress can be costly. unless you dont plan to do one

Quoting Kaylahk:

Quoting holmes212:

sprinkles9112
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I wouldn't suggest ordering online if they don't have a store where you can try it on. Or at the very least have a very stress-free return policy.  Not all dresses are made for all body types. It can look great on the model who may look like they have the same figure, but you could try it on and be extremely disappointed. 

I tried on, bought, fitted, and altered my dress all at the same boutique. Made it very stress free. :) Good luck! 

MomToovey
by Marianne on May. 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM

My only concern would be not getting to try the dress on before you buy it. So after you get it, you better like how it looks on you! Yes, you can still get it altered, but I find many times that the models online look way better in the clothes than I do. You also have the issue of not seeing the colors in person. Oftentimes, the colors in real life don't match the advertised color online.

PartyGalAnne
by on May. 17, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Take the picture to a store and TRY ON a similar style.

DO NOT order before you do this!!

Get professionally measured and stick to the company's size chart.

You're going to need alterations, so hire a seamstress NOW.

As long as you know what to plan for, and what to expect, you can buy online, but follow my advice!

justpeachy71904
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 6:39 AM
When I was at the seamstress there was a dress there that was made of very cheap lace. And she told me the bride ordered it online and it didn't fit the lace was awful and she was paying three times the price in alterations.

BE CAREFUL

I bought mine on Craigslist and had it altered. It turned out beautiful and unique.
Krysden
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I don't like to order clothes online.   I'm always afraid it won't fit because of how crazing sizing in womens clothes can be.  I have 3 pairs of jeans/pants that all fit but are each a different size because they weren't made by the same company.   I like to be able to actually try things on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)