Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Common law separation?

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:53 PM
  • 2 Replies

I've been with my current ex for 5 years and have a 4 year old. I broke it off becasue he didn't treat me the way I needed to be treated for almost 6 years he always abused me in any way possible so finally after talking to his brother because I couldn't take it anymore he told me that I don't deserve this and that I deserve better and that he wouldn't want my son to grow up in that place and now with a bby girl on the way just so much... So when I spoke with my ex he told me so much that he was hurt than told me he knew it was going happen that that is why he didn't invest in the relationship...  I told him that I was tired of feeling neglected and treated like shit that he spent most of his time working out and playing video games. That I had to beg him just to touch me and hold me... 

I just don't know where to start with the process of separation he wants everything but never mention anything about our son and the bby.. Now he went out to drink... Oh lord plz help me get thru this....

by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
JJsmommy4evr
by on May. 18, 2013 at 7:23 PM
What state do you live in? Were you common law married?
MagicTemptation
by Christina on May. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Common law...so you never got married. In your state is common law marriage legal? Most states that do it (and I thought only a few still practice this) you have to be together, and show proof of that for 10 years. 

You should go to court for custody and child support arrangements. As far as assets, if you aren't married then typically you keep what ever is in your name (assests and bills). If you are joint on anything, you may have to go to court if you two can't work it out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)