Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Engagement Rings- Give me your thoughts!

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: Which engagement ring do you think I would like best (or which is most lovely/prettiest)?

Options:

Go with #1!

Go with #1 (halo)

Go with #3 (solitaire)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 23

View Results

Hi Ladies,

Okay. My BF told me he is going to order me an engagement ring on Monday and he said he would consider my input on a ring until then. We are ordering a ring setting online and it's hard for me since I cannot see what it would look like on my finger. I've sat down at a local jewelers and decided I like solitaire settings or halo type settings. I just wanted to get your thoughts on the following three rings. I like them all, but maybe there are some pros/cons to these rings that I haven't thought of. I know for sure I want: a ring w/ yellow gold setting, round stone(s), and 4 prongs in the band (ideally...wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if it had 6 prongs).

First, I'll start with 2 wedding bands I like. I honestly, really see me going with either one of these bands so  my current dilemma is finding an engagement ring that could go with either one of these bands.

I really like this for a wedding band:

or this (can't afford the engagement ring setting that goes with this band, but I think it could still be nice with a different setting)

Ok, first engagement ring setting . I really like this ring. I think this is my favorite ring, but my issue with this is I don't know what type of wedding band would go with it! I also don't know how it would look in real life as I haven't seen anything like it at the local jewelers.

2. I've always loved Halo style rings. This setting is the most expensive out of all of the settings I am looking at and it would definitely put a dent in our wallet, but I do like how halos look on my hand..hmmmm

I have a pict of a halo ring on my hand from the jewelers, but I will have to find it to post it.

3. Finally, I like solitaire settings. Unfortunately, I know 2 friends who have a tiffany style setting in white gold..so this setting wouldn't be as unique as I would like, but I would still be happy with something like this. The downside is it is a plain band, but it would go nicely with the top picture wedding band.

Also, I have a question about engagement rings. Is it smart to get the center stone to be the same color as the diamonds in the band of the ring or does it not matter? Thanks!

THANKS for reading and for your input! I know ultimately I have to wear the ring and SO's opinion and mine matter the most, but I've narrowed rings down to these three and my SO just wants to order a ring and get it over with so we can be engaged...lol

by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Congrats on your engagement! I personally like the solitaire, since it could go well with the first wedding band you posted. I'm left-handed, so how often I could potentially catch my ring on something factors in for me and I opted for a fairly simple ring. 

MomToovey
by Marianne on May. 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM

It's hard for me to say which engagement ring because all the pictures are of white gold and you said you wanted yellow. I don't know which one would look best in yellow gold vs. the white.

The first wedding band you posted was my favorite wedding band! Of course, it reminds me a lot of mine and that could be why! :)

And just to throw it out there, the first engagement ring is my favorite. But again, without seeing them in yellow gold, it's hard to say which one would look the best.

Good luck shopping and congrats on the engagement!

ballerina18
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I agree! It is definitely hard to imagine these rings in yellow gold. Everything online is pretty much in white gold and even shopping at my local jewelers there are more white gold settings displayed.

I went to a local jewelers today and tried on some rings that I thought could be similar to what I might like. Here is a photo of what I tried on. Oh, I think I've decided against the halo and am leaning more towards a solitaire setting.

From left to right the carat sizes are 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0. I think I am personally leaning towards a ring that is no more than 1.5 as I don't want the stone to look too big on my fingers. I'm still not certain which setting I like.

If you can tell, in this photo the wedding band is yellow gold and the diamond holder engagement (holding a 1.5 carat) is in white gold. I think I might like a wedding band like this. Do you think the stone is too big? Thoughts?

THANKS again!

Quoting MomToovey:

It's hard for me to say which engagement ring because all the pictures are of white gold and you said you wanted yellow. I don't know which one would look best in yellow gold vs. the white.

The first wedding band you posted was my favorite wedding band! Of course, it reminds me a lot of mine and that could be why! :)

And just to throw it out there, the first engagement ring is my favorite. But again, without seeing them in yellow gold, it's hard to say which one would look the best.

MomToovey
by Marianne on May. 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM

The last picture, with the wedding band & engagement is beautiful! No, I don't think it's too big at all. :)

Quoting ballerina18:

I agree! It is definitely hard to imagine these rings in yellow gold. Everything online is pretty much in white gold and even shopping at my local jewelers there are more white gold settings displayed.

I went to a local jewelers today and tried on some rings that I thought could be similar to what I might like. Here is a photo of what I tried on. Oh, I think I've decided against the halo and am leaning more towards a solitaire setting.

From left to right the carat sizes are 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0. I think I am personally leaning towards a ring that is no more than 1.5 as I don't want the stone to look too big on my fingers. I'm still not certain which setting I like.

If you can tell, in this photo the wedding band is yellow gold and the diamond holder engagement (holding a 1.5 carat) is in white gold. I think I might like a wedding band like this. Do you think the stone is too big? Thoughts?

THANKS again!

Quoting MomToovey:

I'm training for a half marathon! If you'd like to follow my progress from an "All hope is lost" couch potato with a bad knee to a marathon runner, "like" my Page!

ladybugchar
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM
They are all beautiful! I love the first one!! What dh and I did was just get 1 ring. I used it for our engagement. Then he put it on me again for our wedding. I then don't have to deal with a huge setting on my finger.

But, then again, I'm a very simple type person and it took forever for me to find what I wanted.

Whatever you get, I'm sure you will love. Remember, the ring is just a symbol, it is the meaning that makes the difference.
lageise
by on May. 26, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I like #1 and I think it would look good with the wedding band you picked out.  Be sure to post pictures of what he actually gets you.

ProudMommy51006
by on May. 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM
I love the ring on the left in the first picture, gorgeous! The set in the 2nd pic is perfect together, I do think the diamond is too big for your hand in that pic. But it's really whatever you love

Quoting ballerina18:

THANKS again!

Quoting MomToovey:

littlemrsd
by on May. 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Relax!! I think he needs to have a say so in it to, my husband & I picked out my ring! 

JRSMOM0621
by on May. 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Congrats on your engagement!! Personally I like the stone in the middle being a different color than the other stones on the band.

HeadKrobe8789
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I like the last one personally because I prefer silver and nothing flashy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)