Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Do Your Dad and Husband/S/O Have A Lot In Common?

earthangel1967
Happy Sept! I changed my siggy & profile for Sept. This month I'll be spending time in Love & Marriage & Frugalistas & Everyday Family Ideas groups. See you there! :D
Today at 1:35 AM
Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 41 Replies

Some people say that we often marry someone that is a lot like our dad (or in some cases perhaps the opposite of him).

What about you?... Is your husband similar or very different than your dad? Do they have a lot in common? Like what?

Do they get along well?

View Full Size Image YVONNE

(This is my husband Todd's Fatherhood Tattoo. It says Roots & Wings bc that's he gave them. The tree has each of our 5 kids initials engraved on it. Has 5 roots & 5 birds flying off on their own but that know that HE-the solid tree is always there for them)

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
earthangel1967
Happy Sept! I changed my siggy & profile for Sept. This month I'll be spending time in Love & Marriage & Frugalistas & Everyday Family Ideas groups. See you there! :D
by YVONNE on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM

1. My 1st MISTAKE of a husband I had when I was 18 for 16 yrs that I never should have married, wasn't much like my dad. (in personality anyway).. the only things they had in common was they are both good at being able to fix almost anything and are do it yourselfers around the house and good at it.  They both had high school diplomas but no more advanced schooling than that and both did hands on labor. They both liked to spoil me and dote on me.

My dad was nice to my ex out of respect to me but he let my mom know he didn't actually like him as a husband for me. He didnt feel he was motivated enough, he didn't feel he was a good enough provider, he didnt have enough in common with him. He didnt feel proud of him. Plus he had a lot of issues I hid from my parents to protect them from worrying and I think my dad sensed that.

My parents were not upset about me leaving him 16 yrs later (except to worry about me and the kids) BUT my ex ADORES my parents to this day even 12 yrs after I left him and he was devasted they would not be in his life anymore which is admittedly sad for him. (He had done too many awful things for my parents to want to have him around even as an occasional visit by that point though.)  

(This is my husband Todd's Fatherhood Tattoo. It says Roots & Wings bc that's he gave them. The tree has each of our 5 kids initials engraved on it. Has 5 roots & 5 birds flying off on their own but that know that HE-the solid tree is always there for them)

anj2mom
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Dh and dad get along great! They r kinda similar which makes that saying true for me. I'm lucky. I have great in laws and a dad who loves dh. :)
kagegirl
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Physically, Jason is the COMPLETE opposite of my dad. Daddy was tall and white and red headed and freckled. Built like a brick wall and a sailor. 

Jason is short, muscular, and Italian. 

But they both possess similar qualities. Daddy took in my oldest brother and never made a distinction. Jason has done the same with my children. He is hard working, kind, generous, the whole kit and kaboodle. 

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM

2. My husband Todd I've been with for 10 yrs has SOME things in common with my dad for sure, but not SO much that I feel like I married someone like my dad. My dad and Todd get along awesome and genuinely love visiting one another and my dad is SOoooo impressed with and proud of Todd and my mom is too and my mom says my dad literally BRAGS about Todd even when we aren't around all the time.

Some of the things they have in common is they are both passionate about politics and they will talk about it passionately in great detail when they get together and are usually on the same page and if they differ on anything, my dad has SO MUCH respect for Todd he will actually sometimes be swayed by Todd's opinion which no one else can do with my dad. They both worked in a similar industry (my dad as a laborer until he retired and todd as a manager/supervisor of the laborers) so they talk shop a lot too. ) They both love to spoil and dote on me. They both use sarcasm in their humor alot, which I dont like sarcasm and neither does my mom but it makes us kind of laugh and shake our heads that they BOTH do it and its just part of who they are. They both like to affectionately tease and joke around a LOT and laugh a lot. They are both movie buffs (as are me and my mom and our kids). They both served on air craft carriers in the Navy out of HIgh School (Todd also served again when the Towers went down in the Army National Guard) My dad LOVES that about Todd too. They also both love to talk about current events and the news of all kinds. They both like guns.

There a lot of differences though too, they look nothing a like they have totally opposite body types etc except for both being tall. Dad has a high school diploma, Todd has a masters degree. Dad is a homebody and Todd is adventurous and always likes to be going places and doing things and loves to travel. My dad is really laid back and Todd is exceptionally assertive and motivated and my dad loves that about Todd too. My dad is a hunter and fisher and Todd would never do either unless our lives literally depended on it bc he crazy loves animals too much to hurt any himself directly. As a dad my dad did do some stuff with us but he worked a lot and let my mom mostly handle us unless she told him to do something and he didnt express love by saying I love you very much (just occasionally) his way to say it was to mess up our hair or tickle us or squeeze our hand or knee and we knew what that meant. Its because of how he was raised. Todd on the other hand is a very hands on exceptionally involved fun and very lovingly expressive dad with our 5. Also my dad is old fashioned very conservative traditional thinker and believer and Todd is a lot more liberal like I am in many things.

So they have some things in common and some not.

My parents ADORE Todd  and highly respect him and he loves them like they are his own parents.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM

My husband and my Dad are total opposites. I should have married someone more similar to my Dad. My Dad is friendly, out-going,positive, and involved with his kids. My husband is an introvert, like me, and more and more negative even though he has nothing to be unhappy about.

GagaNTattooS
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM
They were okay in the start... they were nice to each other but didn't like each other...then they hated each other...now they are best friends..
GagaNTattooS
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM
They are nothing alike
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

lol  well I am glad that worked out and they are best friends now, I'm sure that makes things a lot easier on you! : )

Quoting GagaNTattooS:

They were okay in the start... they were nice to each other but didn't like each other...then they hated each other...now they are best friends..

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM

My Dad died 7 years before I started dating my DH so he didn't know him.  I wish I would have married someone like my dad.  Maybe my life wouldn't be the way it is now.

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM

im sorry hugs

awwww I'm so sorry for your loss and I am sorry for what you are going thru now. I hope things get better. HUGS

Quoting SouthernMamaof1:

My Dad died 7 years before I started dating my DH so he didn't know him.  I wish I would have married someone like my dad.  Maybe my life wouldn't be the way it is now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)