Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Teens in Love?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM
  • 20 Replies

Our oldest is 16 and has been with her bf for over a year now and they regularly tell each other that they love each other.  I know I was in love with dh but I think that the definition of love changes as we get older and the longer we are with our partners. Do you think the love we knew as teenagers is the same love we have for our partners now?   I think teens can be in love (I know I was) just saying that I think our definition of love changes. 

Claire Mom of two teens and one tween.in love

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I agree love changes as we mature and cicumstances change. I also believe teens fall in love and experience real love.

LittlePistol87
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I agree. My love for my husband then is a lot different and stronger now!! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I don't think I could understand how deep love can get as a teenager. I loved my high school boyfriend, we were together 5 years. I still love him, we are very close friends now. But the love I feel for him doesn't even scratch the surface of the love I feel for my husband and that love just gets stronger and deeper over time.

I think it is a different kind of love that teens feel and that is fine.

mrsfitz05
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Oh it definitely changes! I was in love with my now husband before we were even together (we were friends, he's 4 years older) when I was 16. I knew he was "the one" for me. However, every circumstance is our lives has molded that love from the all consuming crazy teenage love that makes you do and say nutty things into something mature and stable - but still a little wild and passionate. Every step of the way, I think I could never love him more, but I find myself proven wrong. He's not perfect. We've had some serious issues through the years, but I've loved him half my life. He's my safe place and my anchor.

Yes, I'd believe my teenager if they thought they were in love but I'd encourage them to let that grow and be sure it's set to last.

furbabymum
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I was 18 when I married my DH and I have to say I still hold the same definition. Our loves has changed the longer we've been married but I still think of love the same.

deadlights86
by Emily on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM
I loved my boyfriend at 16. We were together almost 5 years and if he hadn't of done drugs and drank I would have stayed with him. He is my 8 yo dad. Glad he was a jerk cause dh is much better.
CjEmmemommy
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I dont think I was in love as a teen. I even married by Husband at 18 and now look back and think it was more of an infatuation than true love.. Then again like you said, that love has changed over the years, so maybe that was just very early stages.

GarysWife1991
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I do think in the beginning it probably is more lust and infatuation but it's the love we knew at the time. 

Blackroses137
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM
I've been with my husband since we were both 15 (almost 16 years old), and I have always been in love with him. My husband is now 20, and i will be 20 in September. I do think that the love that I have for him has changed and developed over the years. It's not like it was when we first started dating, but that doesn't mean I have stopped loving him. My love for him has developed and changed over the years and through all that we have been through. I was madly in love with him then, and I still am. I am very lucky we have made it as far as we have.
5PointedHuman
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I have been in love with the same person since I was 14, and he was 17. Our love has evolved and strengthened more than I could have imagined. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN