Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breasting feeding and college?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: were you breastfed? did you go to college?

Options:

yes, i was breastfed and went to college

yes, i was breastfed, but i did NOT go to college

no, i was not breastfed, but i still went to college

no, i was not breastfed and i did NOT go to college

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 29

View Results

okay, this is totally random. i am taking a psych 2 class right now over the summer. it is human growth and development. in one of the last chapter they had a part that said that studies show that breast-fed children are more likely to go to college? of course, to take a poll on kids who are in college NOW mean they would have been on formula from 20 years ago, and that stuff wasnt nearly as good as what we can get now.

regardless, i thought it was interesting, so i figured i would start a poll and see if cafemom ends up with the same results or not!

Proud mom of an ornery 4.5 year old boy, a very smart 7.5 year old girl! Married for 5.5, together for 8 years! Fun loving, open-minded, eco-friendly, creative,friendly, different strokes work for different folks, lady! I stay at home, work at home, love it all!

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mrsfitz05
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I don't particularly know that formula is better now than it was 20 years ago. I mean, it's probably better than the PET milk and karo syrup that my grandmother used, but still...I don't know what doctors were saying 20 years ago but 30 years ago when I was born, doctors were telling mom's that breastfeeding was inferior unless you kept a 100% perfect diet and you SHOULD formula feed. It was this concept that only "poor people" and "hippies" BF their babies. Illogical, but I"ve heard that from several women my mom's age who have kids my age.

At any rate, I was FF and I'm in college now while working full-time and raising 3 small children. Formula is and always will be inferior to what our bodies are designed to do naturally(I BF all of mine some but 2 were FF as well. My youngest had no Formula ever so I'm not judging it's use) but I don't think it has a thing in the world to do with inteligence and education.

deadlights86
by Emily on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Well breast feeding was seen as taboo and disgusting 20 years ago. Most women didn't do it according to my mother.
soymujer
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I didn't breastfeed my youngest and he is going to college.

family in the van   Mom of four

MomToovey
by Marianne on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I didn't vote. I was breastfed for 4 months before my mom switched to formula. I also don't know how to classify what I did, post-high school. I did go to community college for a few semesters, then I quit to work. Then I went to an acting school that I graduated from. Then later, I got a degree online. So yeah, I guess I did go to college. And I guess I technically was breastfed...

kate.oneill
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I'd be curious to see what the numbers are for people who have graduated college, vs. just having gone to college. That's a pretty wide range, especially among this crowd!  

Also, maybe another category (for a study someday) for any correlation between length of breast feeding and level of education.  I.e. Do people who have been breastfed for more than a year (or two, etc.) have more advanced degrees than those not?

MagicTemptation
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Not only was I formula fed but my mother also put coffee in my bottle. lol. I have taken some college classes. I took a break because of life and children. I plan on enrolling after we move. I graduated highschool with a 3.9 GPA. I was in the top 20 in my class of over 200 students.

cookiemonster77
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Formula fed, threw everything up. Mom found a special soy formula when soy wasn't popular.

Went to college 10 + years ago. Graduated with top honors in 2.5 years. 

Des10ed2b
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Quoting kate.oneill:

I'd be curious to see what the numbers are for people who have graduated college, vs. just having gone to college. That's a pretty wide range, especially among this crowd!  

Also, maybe another category (for a study someday) for any correlation between length of breast feeding and level of education.  I.e. Do people who have been breastfed for more than a year (or two, etc.) have more advanced degrees than those not?

yes, there were a lot of factors. it actually said "college degrees", not just college. It also says they have a higher rate of successful marriage. ALSO, that the largest group of breast-feeding people in the US are immigrants! i just thought it was an interesting study all the way around. i dont know how "right" it was, but it was interesting non the less. 

Proud mom of an ornery 4.5 year old boy, a very smart 7.5 year old girl! Married for 5.5, together for 8 years! Fun loving, open-minded, eco-friendly, creative,friendly, different strokes work for different folks, lady! I stay at home, work at home, love it all!

bjane01
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I have heard this before. My theory...breastfeeding moms are presistant and determined. They don't give up when it gets hard. This trait is important to finishing college too. Moms who are determined likely pass this trait to their kids. So their kids finish college.

It is not the breast milk but the passed down personality trait that is the link.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)