Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just got married... now what do I do? *EDIT

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM
  • 20 Replies

The title says it all. I just came back from my honeymoon, which was the day after we got married, so now starts my wifey homework of changing my name. I know I need to go to my local social security office, but where else do I need to go? Plus about how much did you all have to pay to get your name changed at these places? I've tried looking everything up, but I can never seem to find exactly what I want. I do live in Pennsylvania if that helps any. Thank you in advance!

*Edit-

Thank you to everyone who replied! I started to fill out all of my forms, but to change my social security info I need something that shows my old and new name. On both my marriage license, and the the certificate it only has my old name, it doesnt say that my name has changed or anything. Is that normal? And if so how do I show that I'm taking my now husbands last name? I know this may sound stupid, but I just want to make sure I have all my facts straight, and calling these places is useless with their automated answering machines.

Jennifergay pride ribbon

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megan11587
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Umm... SS office, MVA (or whatever you have in PA) to change your state ID, bank accounts, any credit accounts you have open, your HR if you work, school if you attend

Megan11587
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I don't remember how much it all cost, though.  Not much.

michellej428
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Didn't have to pay for he social security card and then if you didn't already get one, have to file for a certified copy of marriage cert to be able to change name on license..that was $15 for me and I live in pa as well. I haven't changed the name of my license yet though so I'm not sure of the charges there. Hope I helped
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
koley05
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Congrats! When I changed my name I had to bring in my marriage certificate to the department of licensing to get my name changed. Hope that helps ;)
xoxRachelxox
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM

You'll need a copy of your marriage certificate to change those. 

I can't really remember if I was charged to change my name. I'm pretty sure I just had to give them my ID and  marriage certificate. 

shjchica
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I live in CT and I didn't have to pay at the DMV or the SS office to change my name. You just need your marriage license to do it :) Congratulations!

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM

There is a website that's called https://www.missnowmrs.com/default.aspxthat gives you a checklist!

The Knot may also have the check list! Here it is actually! lol

1. Get your marriage license 
Before you can change your name, you'll need the original (or certified) marriage license with the raised seal and your new last name on it. Call the clerk's office where your license was filed to get copies if one wasn't automatically sent to you.

2. Change your Social Security card 
Visit the Social Security Administration's website and fill out the application for a new Social Security card. You'll keep the same number -- just your name will be different. Mail in your application to the local Social Security Administration office. You should get your new card within 10 business days.

3. Change your license at the DMV 
Take a trip to the local Department of Motor Vehicles office to get a new license with your new last name. Bring every form of identification you can lay your hands on -- your old license, your certified marriage license and -- most important -- your new Social Security card.

4. Change your bank accounts 
This one's a biggie, especially if you're setting up a joint bank account, or if you have one already set up. The fastest way to change your name at your bank is to go into a branch location -- bring your new driver's license and your marriage license. You should request new checks and debit and credit cards on top of changing the name attached to your accounts. Something to note: You might get hit with fees for requesting a new debit card.

4. Fill in the blanks 
Once you have a social security card and driver's license in your married name, other changes should be fairly easy. Some places only require a phone call; others may ask for a copy of your marriage certificate or social security card. Be sure to notify:

• Employers/payroll
  • Post office
  • Electric and other utility companies
  • Credit card companies
  • Schools and alumni associations
  • Landlord or mortgage company
  • Insurance companies (auto, home, life)
  • Doctors' offices
  • Voter registration office
  • Investment account providers
  • Your attorney (to update legal documents, including your will)
  • Passport office

MomToovey
by Marianne on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I don't remember paying anything, but that was also 6 years ago and in CA, so...

Aside from getting your Social Security changed, DMV to change your licence, bank to change the name on your account(s) and/or file for a joint account. You'll need to change your name at your workplace. Any bills you're responsible for, subscriptions.

And write out thank you letters! :)

.Peaches.
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Have you called any of the places you need to go and ask them what you need? They will be able to tell you. And you don't have to get it changed all at once- space it out over the course of a month or so.

opal10161973
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM

TFS!  I got married in March and I wasn't sure what order to do this in either!

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

There is a website that's called https://www.missnowmrs.com/default.aspxthat gives you a checklist!

The Knot may also have the check list! Here it is actually! lol

1. Get your marriage license 
Before you can change your name, you'll need the original (or certified) marriage license with the raised seal and your new last name on it. Call the clerk's office where your license was filed to get copies if one wasn't automatically sent to you.

2. Change your Social Security card 
Visit the Social Security Administration's website and fill out the application for a new Social Security card. You'll keep the same number -- just your name will be different. Mail in your application to the local Social Security Administration office. You should get your new card within 10 business days.

3. Change your license at the DMV 
Take a trip to the local Department of Motor Vehicles office to get a new license with your new last name. Bring every form of identification you can lay your hands on -- your old license, your certified marriage license and -- most important -- your new Social Security card.

4. Change your bank accounts 
This one's a biggie, especially if you're setting up a joint bank account, or if you have one already set up. The fastest way to change your name at your bank is to go into a branch location -- bring your new driver's license and your marriage license. You should request new checks and debit and credit cards on top of changing the name attached to your accounts. Something to note: You might get hit with fees for requesting a new debit card.

4. Fill in the blanks 
Once you have a social security card and driver's license in your married name, other changes should be fairly easy. Some places only require a phone call; others may ask for a copy of your marriage certificate or social security card. Be sure to notify:

• Employers/payroll
  • Post office
  • Electric and other utility companies
  • Credit card companies
  • Schools and alumni associations
  • Landlord or mortgage company
  • Insurance companies (auto, home, life)
  • Doctors' offices
  • Voter registration office
  • Investment account providers
  • Your attorney (to update legal documents, including your will)
  • Passport office

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)