Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Facebook Accused of Ruining Relationships Because It Makes Stalking & Cheating Easy

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 36 Replies

Facebook Accused of Ruining Relationships Because It Makes Stalking & Cheating Easy

by Nicole Fabian-Weber 

carA recent study has concluded that couples who are active on Facebook tend to have more loving, fulfilled relationships. Just kidding. Facebook does more harm than good in all aspects of life. You know that. The study actually claims the opposite, saying that couples who are on Facebook have higher incidents of cheating than those who aren't. Go figure.

Now, I don't think that Facebook is responsible for the demise of couples who genuinely have solid relationships, but for those who don't, of course Facebook is going to make them more apt to cheat. I mean, have you ever logged on?

FarmVille and Spotify aside, the point of Facebook is to connect people. It connects people with random guys and girls from high school. It connects people with random guys and girls they just met at a bar. And it's easy, good Lord is it easy. All you have to do is hit "friend" or "accept," and boom, you're in each other's social network. No need for actual human contact -- everything is merely at the click of a button.

And, see, that's the problem. Connecting -- or reconnecting -- with people is too easy these days. Everything is at our fingertips. That dude you never really got over from college? He's right there! That girl you always kind of had a crush on? Again, there. And let's not forget, people only post their "best selves" on the Internet. Of course that guy you always thought was hot is going to look extra hot on Facebook -- he's in complete control of what you get to see!

I'm a firm believer that Facebook doesn't necessarily turn us into completely different people, but instead awakens things that previously lie dormant. In other words, if you're not a cheater, and you're in a good relationship, the site isn't going to wreck what you've got going on. But on the flip side, if you are and you're not, odds aren't in your relationship's favor. Really not in your favor. So maybe, just maybe, it's time to log off?

What do you think of this?

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM
5 moms liked this

LMBO! I think FB is used as an excuse. If a person is going to cheat, they will. FB or not.

DH and I both have FB accounts. I am more active on it than he is. We are "friends" on FB, and share most of our friends on there. We have both reconnected with people, but have no worries that we are going to cheat because of it,(In any way).

bozobean
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM
I quit Facebook last year. It didn't hurt my marriage, just decided it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. I got a lot of advertisements and propaganda, and too little conversations with friends, who are mostly too busy.
Kimberlynn
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I agree and my husband and I are the same!

Quoting RheaF:

LMBO! I think FB is used as an excuse. If a person is going to cheat, they will. FB or not.

DH and I both have FB accounts. I am more active on it than he is. We are "friends" on FB, and share most of our friends on there. We have both reconnected with people, but have no worries that we are going to cheat because of it,(In any way).

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I kind of just want to say, DUH!

I broke up with Facebook a couple of years ago because it was causing too much drama in my life and it made my husband insecure that I had so many friends. 

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I think it's the way people use facebook.  I don't cheat on my husband but he knows that I flirt a lot, flaunt my stuff when I'm feeling sexy and act like a single girl without a care in the world from time to time......but my facebook is as PG as it gets.  No exes I ever had feelings for, no flirting, only close friends and family.  I don't typically let me DD play on my facebook but I'd never have to worry about her seeing something that she shouldn't cause if any friends post something indecent I hide it.

terpmama
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe my friends and I are just too mature but uh... We share pictures of our kids and set up play dates and outings... No cheating here

codfish
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM
My dh and I both have fb accounts. I use mine to connect with my huge, spread out, multi-generational family, as do my kids. My dh and I are fb friends and we have each other's passwords. We have had one incident. A hs friend of his made some very improper suggestions. He told me, befriended her, and we moved on. People prone to cheat just use fb as an excuse to do so.
RheaF
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM

To add.....

We also only have Friends we actually talk to. Neither of us are into adding friends to boost numbers,lol. I do not understand the whole "drama" bit. You only get what you allow in. I have never dealt with drama on FB. Differing opinions and some lively debates amoung friends sure, but no outright drama. I guess it all depends on who you allow on your page?

Quoting Kimberlynn:

I agree and my husband and I are the same!

Quoting RheaF:

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Self control. People seem to think they shouldn't have it.

3xangel
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Agreed, this is the real problem.

Quoting furbabymum:

Self control. People seem to think they shouldn't have it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)