Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Sometimes I'm just ready to give up!

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM
  • 21 Replies

I love my husband, let me just put that out there!! We both work, we have no kids.  When I get home I get to cooking dinner and he gets to sitting his butt in the recliner on the laptop!!! Doesn't offer to help!!! I'm just frustrated!!! I do all the cooking, cleaning, laundry etc... I know this is the role in most households and I don't want him to do all these things but the offer to help would be nice!! Even to clean kitchen after dinner.... NOPE he does not offer until I've made a comment or have a meltdown.... 

He used to be more helpful, just wanted to add that b/c it hasn't always been this way LOL.

Ok rant over.... 

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:44 PM
3 moms liked this

Since you BOTH work outside the home and dont have any kids I feel it'd only be fair to split the chores. Why dont you make a list for him and a list for you and you can switch them every other week if you want too? Would he be open to that. Having a list to check off releases you from feeling forced to nag too.

View Full Size Image YVONNE

(This is my husband Todd's Fatherhood Tattoo. It says Roots & Wings bc that's he gave them. The tree has each of our 5 kids initials engraved on it. Has 5 roots & 5 birds flying off on their own but that know that HE-the solid tree is always there for them)

To_the_moon
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Quoting earthangel1967:

Since you BOTH work outside the home and dont have any kids I feel it'd only be fair to split the chores. Why dont you make a list for him and a list for you and you can switch them every other week if you want too? Would he be open to that. Having a list to check off releases you from feeling forced to nag too.

I would try a this.
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
bcauseimthemom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I would skip cooking for him....lol

lsa0919
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:20 AM
2 moms liked this

i would just stop cooking. He will eventually get the point.  You can grab dinner on the way home.  If he ask why just tell him you shouldnt have to come home from work and became a personal chef and maid without any help from him.  Trust me your frustration will grow once you have kids if you dont deal with that now.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Quoting To_the_moon:

Quoting earthangel1967:

I would try a this.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Men will not just jump in and partake in the household duties if that is not something they are used to and you cannot gripe if you dont speak up and tell him that it is bothering you.  You gotta crack the whip sometimes if you want them to get off their butts! 

littlecheifsmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:03 AM
I'd have a nice talk and ddd loot chores. There's zero reason to why he can't help. He's used to u doing it. Personally I would stop & only do my end of things until hr changed.
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

You think this is just how most households are? Maybe dysfunctional ones ran by resentful women. If both partners are working than both partners should be contributing at home as well. Did you catch that word I used, "Partners". That's the kind of marriage I have. I do all the cooking by choice. I like cooking. My DH does the dishes and cleans the kitchen. I had to tell him in no uncertain terms that that is what I expect of him. I do the laundry because my DH always breaks the washer and dryer when he tries. lol We have duties pretty well doled out and neither of us feels any resentment toward the other. Plus, if we need help we just ask and the other is always happy to assist.

lalalamama
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd make a list of what the household chores are and divide them in half. Give him the choice of doing them or hiring a maid to do it for him. My DH picked the cleaning service option! He was happy and I was happy !
There's no reason for you to think that it's your job to do all that just because you're a woman. You both work outside the home, you both work inside the home.
cad1972
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL I've thought of the whole only cooking for me and only doing my laundry... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)