Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

How did you/are you planning to handle troublemakers at your wedding?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM
  • 21 Replies

Angelina Jolie May Be Banning Brad Pitt's Buddies From Their Wedding

by Maressa Brown

brangelinaBrangelina may be busily wedding planning, but the couple isn't on the same page at all with every detail -- particularly the guest list, according to the gossipmongers over at the UK tabloid The Sun. A source claims Angelina "wants the whole affair to be very civilized," so she's vetoing invites to a short list of Brad's most "raucous" friends, which reportedly includes Jonah Hill, Quentin Tarantino, and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Angie's allegedly concerned that "if Jonah and Quentin come, they’ll hit the bar early on and cause a commotion." As if that wasn't enough, the source says George Clooney is getting a WARNING attached to his invite that he needs to keep things under control! Oh jeeeze. If this is true, is it absolutely necessary? Sounds more like a recipe for an ugly, unnecessary pre-wedding fight with Brad than anything else.

Okay, sure, you'd have to be living under a rock to not know about Angelina's personal health challenges, so maybe that's one of the reasons she wants to "just say no" to inviting notorious boozers. After all, if they were to go overboard and cause a scene -- especially with the kids in attendance -- it would be super-stressful. And the last thing the woman needs right now is MORE stress, right?

Then again, it's just one day (and/or evening). What's the point of having a wedding and inviting anyone if you're not going to invite your closest friends and let them enjoy themselves without warnings, rules, the threat of an admonishment or stink eye if they dare step out of line? Do you really want your guests to be walking on eggshells when you walk down the aisle?

What's more, I hate to burst any bride's bubble, but chances are that someone's going to lose their cool, act out, say something obnoxious, overstep their bounds, etc. on the Big Day. That's just the unfortunate reality of any big event like a wedding. It tends to bring out the most emotional, irrational, and, on occasion, ugliest sides of loved ones -- even when alcohol isn't involved!

More from The Stir: 14 Wedding Planning Nightmares Brides Never Saw Coming

Ultimately, the solution isn't banning potential troublemakers who happen to also be VIPs. (Unless you know for sure that they're so toxic 24/7/365 that you wouldn't want them anywhere within a one-mile radius of you on your wedding day ...) It's managing your reaction and perhaps enlisting a planner or a bridesmaid/groomsman who doesn't mind playing bulldog, etc., to handle any situation that gets out of hand and keep it as FAR away from you as possible.

Here's hoping that's what Angelina decides to do. Because a.) she can and b.) it's totally not worth butting heads with her soon-to-be husband.

How did you handle/are you handling wedding guests you're worried may be troublemakers?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HisAngel91
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM
My aunt started problems at my wedding. My grandma told her to shut up or get out.
SlightlyPerfect
by Slightly Perfect on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this

The worst problem I had at my wedding was my friends taking pictures of their penises in the bathroom and leaving said pics on the disposable cameras for me to find and explain a week after the wedding while standing in a Walmart Photo Center.

slightlyperfect

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM
My DH cousin&GF at the time was in the wedding,the mother of his child crashed! It was mini; drama considering 2 of our wedding party were missing for pics!
DH&I just ignored it as much as we could!
LOL
JessiFaye
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM

We didn't have problems with anyone at our wedding. I can't imagine anyone I know doing anything to cause a scene at something like that. As an example, people even asked our permission to bring in bottles of alcohol for their drinks, since the bar we provided was beer/wine only. My answer to that was to show them the little bottle of vodka I was going to stash under the front table. ;)

My best friend, on the other hand, had a huge problem in a similar situation, because they didn't put an alcohol deposit down with their venue... and then a bunch of members of the bridal party snuck stuff in and got TRASHED. It was awful. I don't understand people. They could have lost a lot of money.

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM

The only troublemakers we had at our wedding were:

Our teens photobombing scenes in our wedding video (which turned out to be funny and makes the video even more fun to watch now)

We got married at a mini public castle in a park and had a little altar set up outside of it and had our rings on the altar and our unity candle etc and we were in renassaince princess and prince outfits from professional costume shop and random strangers kept walking up to the altar and picking things up to look at them thinking it was a public theatrical demonstration of some sort or something not a wedding and so we had to send my oldest teen son Jesse to stand guard over the altar and the things on it and to ask people to keep a respectful distance. They did then. lol  We thought that was funny too

No other incidences.

View Full Size Image YVONNE

(This is my husband Todd's Fatherhood Tattoo. It says Roots & Wings bc that's he gave them. The tree has each of our 5 kids initials engraved on it. Has 5 roots & 5 birds flying off on their own but that know that HE-the solid tree is always there for them)

AlannaMaria
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:20 PM
We had no drama/trouble at our wedding :)
Krysden
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM

We didn't invite any troublemakers

beeky
by Alexandra on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:29 AM

I was married in England and in case it's an international secret, the British can drink like fish. 

Having been on several pub crawls with dh and his mates, I knew exactly who the rowdy drunks were and they didn't make the guest list.

We had to pay a damages deposit when we rented the village hall for the reception.  We were told that we would get it back afterwards if there were no damages.  The landlord told us as he returned our deposit that it was the first time since he was running the Hall.

RigPrincess85
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this
We didn't have troublemakers, we had a very small wedding, just DH, myself and the JP :p
TheMrs407
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:38 AM
The only problem I had was my younger cousin's prom date wanting to show up in her prom dress. Yes I happened to schedule it the same day of his prom :/. He came for the ceremony, was actually an usher and then went to prom. My aunt stopped the girl from coming to the reception.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)