Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

How old is too old to have a baby? Is 37 too old?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 73 Replies

How old is too old to have a baby in your opinion?  Is 37 too old?

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope! DH is 40 and we are still trying for another baby.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

In my opinion, yes. The risk for defects skyrockets after 35. To me, it's not worth the risk. Plus, I don't want to wait until we're 60 to get the kids out of the house and retire. 

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:22 AM
3 moms liked this

No . I really think it depends on the health of both parents. I think if you are both physically fit anytime before 50 is OK. I know many women that had kids in their 40s and all are fine.

lillybug222
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM
It's too old for me. I'm 28 & have three kids. We'll likely try again next year. I'm guessing 4 will be it for us. I wanted to have all my babies in my 20's. If all goes as planned, I'll be 30 when I have our last.

However, one of my friends tried for years & finally got pregnant at 37. It certainly wasn't too old for her! It was perfect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Verrine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I think you have to decide for yourself. How much can you handle? I had my first and only child at 35. I know someone who is 50 and just had her first child, using a donated egg. I think that is insane.

beeky
by Alexandra on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Biologically - yes.

Socially - no.

Personally - yes.

Ultimately - your decision!

ilovemykids732
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I think I will be done by the time I hit thirty... but I mean... if YOU think you can handle it at that age and your still in 'good' baby making shape... than go for it :)

MamaMerkle126
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom had a surprise pregnancy at 38, and my sister was beautiful and healthy and perfect. No complications.

DeLaLi
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Personally, I cannot see myself having another child past 30 (well, closer to 40 actually). I just do not want to take on that kind of responsibility at that age. As for others who do it and like it, then hey...why not? If your body is able and you are physically and mentally stable for it, then go for it!

DeLaLi
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Quoting Verrine:

I think you have to decide for yourself. How much can you handle? I had my first and only child at 35. I know someone who is 50 and just had her first child, using a donated egg. I think that is insane.

Yeeeeaaaa...no, lol. My mom is in her early 50s and I cannot imagine her having a baby right now, OMG, ha!! Then again, it all depends on the person. Some women can go on and on and on. It is pretty incredible.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)