Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Men Apparently Only Want to Marry 'Masculine' Women -- Are You Buying This?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM
  • 13 Replies

Men Apparently Only Want to Marry 'Masculine' Women -- Are You Buying This?

by Kiri Blakeley

Good news for single ladies with manly features -- men want to marry you! A new study says that when it comes to picking a wife, men tend to go for women with "chiseled faces with more masculine undertones" rather than women with "soft, delicate feminine features." Those women are apparently reserved for flings. But when dudes put a ring on it, they like the manly faces. Obviously, this isn't an across the board rule. Beyonce got a ring, and she's no butter face. Ditto Kate Middleton. I could name a bunch of other married celebrity women who are as delicate and feminine looking as petals. But, I gotta say ... I agree with this study. I seen it with my own eyes, I tells ya!

As my friends and acquaintances all begin to settle down and get married, I'm noticing a distinct trend. Guys are dumping their delicate-featured girlfriends (or she gets fed up with his commitmentphobia and dumps him) and they are turning around and marrying the next chick they date ... and that next chick has a certain look about her. A strong, long jaw. A biggish nose. A large forehead. In short ... kinda manly. They are also usually taller and thicker than the petite girlfriend the guy had for many years but wouldn't marry.

Kind of interesting because you would expect the opposite, right? But apparently guys don't want to marry the supermodel. They just wanna buff her chuff. When it comes to marriage, men want a horse face in the carriage. The study concluded:

Men are subconsciously pushed toward marrying the less attractive because they believe these women will be more faithful.

And being with a woman who is considered less faithful means that a guy could end up raising a child who isn't his own.

Personally, I thought the trend had something more to do with guys wanting more "serious" women when they were ready to settle down. Be gone, chick who has some vague job in fashion design; hello, woman who went to Harvard Law. But I guess this makes sense too.

However, since feminine-looking women are the ones guys want to have flings with, that makes me think that a manly-looking woman is more likely to be cheated on.

Paradoxically, women preferred more feminine guys for marriage, and more masculine guys for flings. But for the same reason -- more manly men were considered more likely to cheat.

Or we could all just say this study is a bunch of hooey and that people marry who they want, and who they love, and who knows why.

Is anyone buying this study?

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anryan
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM

hmmmmm i wonder , in the case of me, if it is a cheating issue or the issue of perhaps the more "tomboyish" would be more likely to be thier equal (employment, thought processes, etc) in place of the fru fru, high maintenance, spend all my money type. 

As for women liking more feminine men...not a clue.  I can't stand affemiante men for sex but on the other hand i have a lot of flamboyantly gay men who are amazing friends...all the good girl stuff without the major drama of women and lots more logic...so maybe that is the same with affeminate men...

Definately something to think on today :O)

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I admit it, I'm manly looking. I look much more like my dad than any of my siblings.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM

"They want to buff her chuff. When it comes to marriage men want a horse face in the carriage."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! 

I'm totally stealing that, that's amazeballs. 

I completely disagree with this study, btw. 

earthangel1967
Happy Sept! I changed my siggy & profile for Sept. This month I'll be spending time in Love & Marriage & Frugalistas & Everyday Family Ideas groups. See you there! :D
Yesterday at 1:35 AM
by YVONNE on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Todd said when he was younger even though he was ALWAYS drop dead gorgeous for some reason (probably bc he as body dysmorphic disorder so doesnt see himself the way he really is) he had low self esteem and so he married and I am not exagerating a  SHOCKINGLY ugly woman who looked like an ugly boy in drag. When he showed me her  pic when we were dating I didnt believe that was his ex wife at all, and while looks are not everything she was a total bitch too and his whole family hated her. He said he believed she would not cheat on him  bc he at least  knew he looked a lot better than her. But first year they were married she not only cheated but got pregnant by the other guy and let him believe it was todds at first and then when he divorced her and got dna proof  that the baby was 0% chance his the lovely state of MI has a law that forced him to pay child support  for that child until she was 18 even though we never could see her she didnt live in our state either just bc his ex was married to him at the time she got pregnant. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Then he lived with a woman for 4 yrs after that looked a lot better but she was really rough around the edges you could say and very tom boyish and actually violent and abusive and vulgar and  he thought he would "rescue and help her" instead he sank into darkness with her and depression  until he finally left her.

He said I was the first extremely GIRLY GIRLY feminine, sweet, lovey dovey, woman he dated, I was also the only one his family EVER liked too : ) They all also agreed I am the prettiest one which is very sweet and  Todd has nothing to worry about bc I am as devoted and faithful as  they come. He told me I am like an angel of light that came out of the sky and  took him out of a life of living hell into light and joy (even got a tattoo to symbolize that).

So YES I do think at least some men do that, like Todd did at first but I also dont think it guarantees anything. Sometimes I think the less attractive person might have insecurity and self esteem and anxiety knowing they married "out of their league" so to speak and some might cheat just for reassurance emotionally that they are desirable to others.

OH  also even as a girly girly girl,almost every guy I ever dated told me he wanted to marry me someday starting back when I was a teen onward, obviously most of those didnt pan out bc of him or bc of me or both, but  most of them at least  considered it.

YVONNE

earthangel1967
Happy Sept! I changed my siggy & profile for Sept. This month I'll be spending time in Love & Marriage & Frugalistas & Everyday Family Ideas groups. See you there! :D
Yesterday at 1:35 AM
by YVONNE on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM

screamingThis stupid study reminds me of a horrible painful memory. When I was a teen I was tall, thin, platinum blonde and in local modeling (fashion shows and photo shoots) and got lots of attention every where I went. I dated this guy who was also a model for a short time and when I broke up with him he said to me "Everywhere you go any guy who sees you will ALL want to "F" you but no one, NO ONE, will ever ever love you".  (Bc of being abused as child I had terrible self esteem and felt how I looked was all I was worth at that time so his words cut me to my core and I was afraid he was right for a long time. ) : (

So glad he turned out to be wrong.

YVONNE

Metteba
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I look more masculine looking than my SO - he is 5'8" but he's scrawny looking.  He's not very manly, but he still a man. LOL.

EddiesMama83
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM

This is ridiculous. Maybe some people think "ugly' people won't cheat but guess what? Most affairs often have nothing to do with trying to find a more "attractive" person to sleep with. Men(and women) have affairs because they want power, excitement, attention, affection, or perhaps revenge. 

jojo_star
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM

No, I don't believe that. I'm not manly looking at all. I look very young, and feminine, I always have. I would also never cheat. My looks don't dictate my character. 

beeky
by Alexandra on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Yeah, I got to go with this and I'm asking my hubby if I'm a horse face.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

"They want to buff her chuff. When it comes to marriage men want a horse face in the carriage."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! 

I'm totally stealing that, that's amazeballs. 

I completely disagree with this study, btw. 

JTE11
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know if I believe that or not. It does make some kind of sense. Here's my wedding photo, you tell me:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)