Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

No need to comment, Just a Good July 4 Dinner Topic**Edit**

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

My DH is a retired military and he just came in and said he is no longer sure what he was fighting for, and injured for, during his time in the service. That the country values that we were raised with, believed in, and our founding fathers fought and died for are no longer here. With our constructional rights trying to be taken away, openly and secretly, what does July 4th mean to you? Is it still giving honor to those who died giving us our freedom or just another day off of work? Please don't get me wrong we 100% support our troops were ever they may be today! (Our middle son is serving in Afghanistan right now).

**Edit ** Last night I ask the kids in my family what dose July 4th mean to them. The younger ones said getting to stay up late to see fireworks, the older kids said it's the country's birthday. The most shocking answer came from an adult. "It's just one more day that thousands of people willingly gather as a very large crowd to make it easier for terrorist to attack......."

july 4th 

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unsuspected
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I feel the same as your husband, it feels more like a death or morning than a celebration. I don't know how to explain it to my kids, other than reading the Declaration of Independence together and telling them, this is why we used to have cause for celebration.
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM
3 moms liked this

July 4th is Independence Day. It's celebrating the day we broke away from England. It isn't Veteran's Day. It isn't Memorial Day. It isn't Flag Day. It isn't Patriot's Day. 

And I'm a military wife too. Relax. Have a beer and a hot dog and watch the fireworks. Don't be a Captain Bringdown. 

county_mom
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Your right its not Veterans, Memorial, Flag, or Patiots Day. Its was just a dinner topic to see how other around you, and yourself, see the 4th of July. Im glad to see that you see it as just another day off from work. 

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

July 4th is Independence Day. It's celebrating the day we broke away from England. It isn't Veteran's Day. It isn't Memorial Day. It isn't Flag Day. It isn't Patriot's Day. 

And I'm a military wife too. Relax. Have a beer and a hot dog and watch the fireworks. Don't be a Captain Bringdown. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Uhhh, I don't exactly know where you got that from. I'm more than happy to be an American. I've been all over the world and have seen how the other half lives, we live in the greatest country in the world.

Here is the thing, that America that your husband talks about, how this country "used to be", never was. It was a fallacy. It was an ideal. Every single issue within our government structure that is a problem today has been a problem since this country's inception. Our elected officials have always been corrupt money-grubbing whores, the populace has always been spied upon, rights have always been infringed upon. The difference is that now with our ease of access to information, we all know about it. It's become much harder for the powers that be to keep things quiet. Money has always made the world go 'round. Wars have often been used as re-election and economy boosting tools. We were pawns in 1913, we're pawns in 2013. Same America, only now that we know how badly we're all getting screwed, we have a new attitude.

Quoting county_mom:Your right its not Veterans, Memorial, Flag, or Patiots Day. Its was just a dinner topic to see how other around you, and yourself, see the 4th of July. Im glad to see that you see it as just another day off from work. 
Quoting ReadWriteLuv:July 4th is Independence Day. It's celebrating the day we broke away from England. It isn't Veteran's Day. It isn't Memorial Day. It isn't Flag Day. It isn't Patriot's Day. And I'm a military wife too. Relax. Have a beer and a hot dog and watch the fireworks. Don't be a Captain Bringdown. 
county_mom
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Thank you so much for making my point, now go look up when we became our own country. Im 1000% sure it was not 1913.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

My point was that we are the same country we were 100 years ago that we are today, as I don't know how old you are and I wanted to make sure my bases were covered. I could have added that we are the same country we were in 1813, but unless you stepped out of a time machine recently, you can't be that old. We are still using the same ideals we were in 1776 when we started this, which is actually part if the problem if you get down to brass tacks. Sorry to bust your bubble, but I'm not an imbecile.

Quoting county_mom:

Thank you so much for making my point, now go look up when we became our own country. Im 1000% sure it was not 1913.

luckyme7
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

My point was that we are the same country we were 100 years ago that we are today, as I don't know how old you are and I wanted to make sure my bases were covered. I could have added that we are the same country we were in 1813, but unless you stepped out of a time machine recently, you can't be that old. We are still using the same ideals we were in 1776 when we started this, which is actually part if the problem if you get down to brass tacks. Sorry to bust your bubble, but I'm not an imbecile.

Quoting county_mom:

I come to cm for posts like this :)

by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with your husband. Our country is not the same as it once was. We are turning into Europe. I never wnted to, and still do not want to, live in Europe. I LOVE my country. My BFF was killed in Iraq in 2004. It was devestatng. But he died knowing, at the time, what he was doing was the right thing to do.

I'm not sure he would feel that way today dealing with what we are dealing with. It's a sad state of affairs. it must change.  I want our freedoms back. Our founding fathers are rolling in teir graves right now with the way things are going. 

Ok, I better stop now. 

MomToovey
by Marianne on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

We read the Declaration of Independence, and the essay that Rush Limbaugh's dad wrote, documenting the fates of the 56 men who signed it. Very moving. There certainly exists no passion in this day and age to equal the passion these men felt for independence. To risk not only their own lives, but the lives of their family. I am so honored to be a part of this country and a part of their dream.

Happy Birthday to the greatest country in the world!

Rachael-Dawn
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:19 PM
I do agree with your husband. I too believe that everything our country was once founded on has been slowly but surely destroyed. I found myself having to force myself to take the kids out to celebrate. I was screaming on the inside.... what are we even celebrating now?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN