Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Who said it first...

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:17 PM
  • 35 Replies

Who said "I love you" first in your relationship, you or your SO and how did you/they do so?

My DF insists that I said it first, but I have a better memory than he does and I remember him saying it doing one of our long talks one day and I was completely shocked and taken aback because I wasn't expecting it at all. I had knew he had strong feelings for me, but we had had our troubles in the past.

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:18 PM
He did. He said it on a plane.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I said it first and I knew he wasn't ready yet and was scared to trust or be that vulnerable because the previous 2 women had been so horrible. He said I like you a LOT but because of what I have been thru, I am afraid it might take awhile for me to be able to trust enough to love. I smiled and said "I know and I understand and I just wanted you to know how I felt and there is no pressure. I think you are worth earning your  trust and also I do NOT want you  to  say I love you until you not only love me but you  love me more than anyone you've ever been with. I honestly don't want to hear it until then. Then we laughed and hugged and kissed. He told me he loved me about a month or  so later which was wayyyyyy faster than either of us expected him to but he said I was exceptional and he never met a person anything even close to how I am. Awwww.

YVONNE

reenie510
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this
He said it first, the morning after the first time we were intimate. We were sitting on his waterbed and he said, "I love you so much" - I was surprised he said it first, but happily replied "I love you, too". I left his apartment with a happy whirlwind in my mind and heart. We have been married for seven years :)
GoddessMom2B
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Aw that is so sweet! You are brave girl, I could not deal with having being the first to say it with fear of it not being mutual lol

Quoting earthangel1967:

I said it first and I knew he wasn't ready yet and was scared to trust or be that vulnerable because the previous 2 women had been so horrible. He said I like you a LOT but because of what I have been thru, I am afraid it might take awhile for me to be able to trust enough to love. I smiled and said "I know and I understand and I just wanted you to know how I felt and there is no pressure. I think you are worth earning your  trust and also I do NOT want you  to  say I love you until you not only love me but you  love me more than anyone you've ever been with. I honestly don't want to hear it until then. Then we laughed and hugged and kissed. He told me he loved me about a month or  so later which was wayyyyyy faster than either of us expected him to but he said I was exceptional and he never met a person anything even close to how I am. Awwww.

kidlover2
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Almost exactly this but the roles were reversed.

Quoting earthangel1967:

IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM

He did, and it was sort of an odd reflex moment... and I didn't say it back for like a month.  It was a little weird and actually caused a little stress for us initially.  It wasn't that far into our relationship, and I'd never said it to anyone before so it was sort of a big deal but I felt like he'd said it almost "accidentally"... well, we've been together for 10+ years so obviously the awkward start didn't matter.

MrsSaraK
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I said it first but I was a little pretty inebriated at the time. But this is the adorable part: He woke me up the next morning by brushing the hair out of my face, giving me a kiss on the cheek & when I opened my eyes he smiled and said 'I love you.'

I told him I loved him too & he said 'I know, you told me last night. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the alcohol talking.' That part might not be that cute but the first part was!

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

My intution which is strong and usually very accurate  told me that he would fall in love with me more than anyone he'd ever loved before. I did totally understand his fear and hesitation  to be so vulnerable since he told me the awful ways he was treated by the previous  2 women he had been with. I would be hesitant too. It helped he felt I was so exceptional and special and was very affectionate and agreed he WANTED to be exclusive with me from our 1st date onward (we'd been communicating in depth for 3 mos online  before that). He wanted to be exclusive bc he felt I was so special he didnt want to date anyone else without finding out  what might happen with us focusing on just the 2 of us. He said he never met anyone as sweet and kind and attentive and devoted and loving as me and was afraid I HAD to be too good to be true and that its easy to act that way to impress someone in the beginning but was I really like that and how long would that last. When he realized that is just who I am he was in love. : ) He tellls everyone I am like an angel of  light that came and  lifted him out of a living hell life of darkness into light and joy and love like he never even believed was possible. He even has a huge tattoo about all that. : )

Quoting GoddessMom2B:

Aw that is so sweet! You are brave girl, I could not deal with having being the first to say it with fear of it not being mutual lol

Quoting earthangel1967:

YVONNE

Mommabearbergh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM
I said it first while we were intimate and then said it again so he knew it wasn't just in the heat of the moment. He said it right after I did but I knew from the way he looked at me.
roseblossom90
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM
He said it first. We were in a tent camping. True he said it in a moment of passion but we didn't have sex that night and the only thing he got from me the whole night was kisses. He said it every day then after that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)