• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

little brother getting married

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 9 Replies
So i have a younger brother who is getting married next year. Keeping in mind It had been called off once our twice already over the last yr or so bc of fights & break ups. Now its back on for next summer. Apparently their keeping it small, like 100 ppl. Their going mostly traditional but no kids. 3 on either side, i.e. best man & 2 groomsmen. So it'll bee the same for the fiancee side. She had 2 sisters & i would guess a best friend. So i guess my question is since he is my only sibling is it normal for me the bio sister to only be invited & not party of any party of the ceremony? I'm almost 30 & have never been in a wedding & this is my little brother.
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MagicTemptation
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
What part of the wedding do you expect to be in? Maybe you can do a toast at the reception for them. But typically the groom chooses a few guy friends/brothers and the bride chooses her friends/sisters. If you and her aren't close then I don't see why you would be a bridesmaid.
JessiFaye
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this

It's not really that out of the ordinary. She gets to pick her side, after all. Maybe they'll ask you to do a reading or something? Otherwise, just go and enjoy yourself. Being a bridesmaid is a pain in the ass most of the time, anyway! :)

aimesnyc
by Amy on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:46 PM

This.  I have been a Bridesmaid five times and I can't say that I loved it.  I loved all the brides, as they were close friends or family, but still...not fun. 

Just enjoy the fact that you don't have to buy a dress that you will wear only once, etc! lol ;)

Quoting JessiFaye:

It's not really that out of the ordinary. She gets to pick her side, after all. Maybe they'll ask you to do a reading or something? Otherwise, just go and enjoy yourself. Being a bridesmaid is a pain in the ass most of the time, anyway! :)

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Maybe you can help out in another way. I certainly appreciated having my SIL do some behind-the-scenes stuff.

TommyAbby
by Melissa on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Yep.. that's normal..no need to be in it unless they ask. 

blondie0234
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:12 PM

My brothers weren't in my wedding..I wasn't in my brothers. Don't expect to be in little brothers whenever that happens..and don't expect SO to use my brothers if we get married...nor does he expect me to use his sisters...Just go and be happy for him...

Squirrel1309
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:49 PM

It depends on your family and how close you are with your brother. My brother was my husband's best man but none of my husband's family was in our wedding. If you want to be a part of the ceremony you could ask to do a reading or a song. Since it has already been called off a couple times I wouldn't buy a gift until the week before the wedding! ;) 

earthangel1967
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I don't see anything unusual about you not being the in the wedding party, nor would I take it personally or be hurt by it. It's expensive and stressful being in a wedding party, consider yourself lucky, lol You  can wear what  you want instead of what your  told, do things on YOUR  time and just enjoy yourself. You can still offer to be helpful if there is anything they need help with but if not, like I said don't take it personally.

YVONNE

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:57 PM
I had a friend help organize things behind the scenes. It help me out a lot!

Quoting mrsniebo:

Maybe you can help out in another way. I certainly appreciated having my SIL do some behind-the-scenes stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)