Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

That my husband take a night or two off from work when I am having severe knee/leg pain and swelling and the urgent care doc doesn't know why? I was told to stay off of my leg as much as possible. We have a 5 & 7 year old so it's not like I can just go sit on the couch and not move. I literally have to be deathly ill for my husband to take a night off and it makes me feel like crap. He has great benefits at work and has like 100 sick days saved up. He can use them for himself or an immediate family member. I know he's worried about thrm having to call someone in to cover him and he doesn't want to ruin somebodies day off. I think that's commendable but I really need to come first once in a while :(
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Replies (61-67):
rstuart66
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM

He needs to use a few days for you.  

Sue1605
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I hear you. All you need is made to feel that someone looks after you too. You take care of everyone else in the house and do a good job so I am sure your Dh feels that you can handle this yourself as well. You  are not spoiled at all, in fact you would feel really better if you were "spoiled" this time. Hope you feel better soon, Good Luck.

Quoting mismaggie:

I really appreciate the ladies who responded without being nasty. In the first place my husband works nights and leaves at 7:30 pm. That leaves baths, dinner and bedtime all for me. Not to mention lunch and everything else while he sleeps. My not asking does come from experience. I have asked in the past and I was met with frustration and even anger at times. No, I do NOT ask for every little thing. I do not think that a night or two while I'm supposed to be completely off of my leg isn't that much to ask. As I stated in another reply, as a SAHM I do not get to take sick days I am here 24/7 which I adore and am very grateful for. I just need a little help myself once in a while. And no, unfortunately I have no one that can help me aside from my DH. I guess I sound spoiled or something to some of you and that's fine as I truly am not. After all, I'm here, leg up, while hubby sleeps preparing for another night of work. Excuse me please, I must go make my little ones some breakfast.

aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM

What if you point blank tell him " I need you to stay home from work and help me."

liliana5
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM
If he has sick time that covers spouse or child illness then yes he should!
cox3
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM
One or 2 days of kids helpinguyen is not a big deal. My dd 7 can make a hot dog, sandwich, soup, toast, waffles, nuggets, cereal etc. does she do it every day? No, of course not. But it does come in hAndy when you are not feeling well. It won't harm them. she is now 10 and learning to use stove and bake simple things.

Quoting DieselsMom:

My 7 year old would not be fixing anything...they are KIDS and need to be CARED for....she can find someone to help her so her husband doesn't have to take off....

Quoting AMRios:

Her kids are 5 and 7.. They are plenty old enough to fix a PB&J and play until Daddy gets home! 

Quoting DieselsMom:

so hire a sitter to come sit with you and help the kids? a family member maybe?

3hearts3
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Quoting mrsfitz05:

I'm torn on this. If you don't ask frequently and it really is serious then maybe he should take off if he can. But if it's any danger to his job, that is a different story.

eesmommy
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Awe, thanks... you're sweet. I came from a family of 7 so we all had to pitch in with school, a mini farm, a giant garden, household chores etc etc. Dh came from a family of 4 with the oldest 2 being more than ten years older, he grew up never having any responsibility. We wanted a happy medium for our children:-) kids need to be needed! I have had some of the best and most enlightening conversations with them while sitting on the bed folding laundry or washing dishes together or cooking a simple meal.

Quoting AMRios:

Mommy of the year award goes to you!!! :) Our children NEED responsibilities!! They need to learn how to do things... Or they will be living in your basement forever!!

Quoting eesmommy:

Amen to this! I NEVER child proofed ANYTHING!!! Even when I babysat, the kids knew and still know what they can and can't touch and can and can't do.... if they don't know the basics by age 2 you got some major issues on hand!

My DD who will be 6 in September is highly dependable, she can make guacamole and granola and several other simple dishes by herself with no help from me, as well as assemble cakes and cookies with simple directions, she is a whiz at sorting laundry and folding it as well among other things like washing and drying dishes and tidying up. My DS who will be 8 in November can successfully scramble eggs and make toast he helps his dad with any chore he does, in fact, dh will turn down adult help because DS knows better what help he needs. Kids aren't rocket science! Don't allow them to be useless slackers! Teach them out of the womb what is and isn't acceptable and let them bloosom and flourish!

Quoting AMRios:

If your children do not know what they are allowed and not allowed to touch then the kitchen that they can't be alone in there for 5 minutes you have a bigger problem! My 2 year old can go into the kitchen and he knows what he is and is not allowed to do.. My kids are not dumb and know not to touch anything that will hurt them... They have a bigger chance of slipping in the shower and getting hurt then getting hurt making a PB&J... So you do hover over them in the shower??? Kids have to be given the opportunity to do things for them to learn life lessons and skills... Let your kids breathe lady! They are going to be the ones made fun of because they can't function without Mommy up their ass!
Quoting AnGLInterrupted:

No, it's not.. but IMO it can be very dangerous to allow a 5 or even 7 year old to be left to their own devices in the kitchen. To many things could go wrong.

If you feel comfortable allowing your children to be left ALONE in the kitchen to prepare any type of meal at that age then I guess more power to you.. but I value my child's safety more than that.

Quoting AMRios:

Ummm because my kid knows how to make a PB&J? It isn't rocket science!

Quoting AnGLInterrupted:

You sound like an AWESOME mother!

Quoting AMRios:

Her kids are 5 and 7.. They are plenty old enough to fix a PB&J and play until Daddy gets home! 

Quoting DieselsMom:

so hire a sitter to come sit with you and help the kids? a family member maybe?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)