Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Traveling husbands.

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM
  • 19 Replies

Alright ladies, what's your best advice for husbands who travel for work. My husbands gone for a week then home for the weekend and then he will leave next Monday for a month. What's your tips or suggestions? I have a 15 month old who throw tantrums over everything and a 5 yo who is in kindergarten. How do you manage doing both what you do everyday plus what your hubby does as well. What do you do in the spear time so your not sad? 

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tammywhynot
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Hey my hubby is a long dist truck driver and hes away alot I have 2 dd 7&2. My 2 yrs is nuts at the min she keeps screaming for nothing. I just down on the floor with her and ask her to stop and tell me whats wrong. Sometimes it works. I try and keep my self busy all the time. I dont sleep much especially when he not here, we use skype to talk every night, it helps x
Fayanne
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM

ignore the 15 mo tantrums, or you'll just be rewarding them

do what needs to be done daily, have him pitch in on the weekends.

coming home on weekends shouldn't be a vacation for him.

Not sure what other advice you were looking for.

gmoen1977
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM

it isn't easy with the other half gone and with kids.  may i ask what he does?  this new for the kids and yourself?

Not married to SO but knew when we started dating that he was away most of the time.  would be hard to connect or date but it has worked.  the trick is to find a hobby, play groups for the kids and keep yourselves busy.  The kids can get used to it.  skype dates with the kids helps them, talking on the phone helps.  for yourself use skype time as well.  Depending what he does when the older one is off from school consider going with if you can.  I go with often.

i work on the house, purge, its fall so fall cleaning is a must, also selling things and getting ready for SO to move in fully.  plus right now we are a week off and working on the house and gettin the garage ready to come down and store the things in there or sell/give away.

long distance sucks but you take advantage of the moments together.  his kids skype when the mother isn't busy and has time for the kids to be skyping with dad.  some weeks its a few night other weeks none.  but when they see him in person the joy is amazing on their faces especially the 8 yr old.  2 yr old hasn't known anything differently.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Bump my Dh rarely travels!
Good luck hun!
littlemrsd
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM

He does roof support in the coal mines. This is pretty new because he has ony traveled once. He does help out alot around here. When he comes home this weekend he is going to mow the grass and things. When he leaves next week it will be for a month. When he started dating he had a diffrent job and he didn't travel.

last time we video chatted alot, talked on the phone as much as possible. I'm starting to do some fall cleaning myself, the holidays will be here before long and I need to get ready.

i have to get adjusted to doing things he does to like talking the trash up every week and small things like that. How do you balance all of that.

Quoting gmoen1977:

it isn't easy with the other half gone and with kids.  may i ask what he does?  this new for the kids and yourself?

Not married to SO but knew when we started dating that he was away most of the time.  would be hard to connect or date but it has worked.  the trick is to find a hobby, play groups for the kids and keep yourselves busy.  The kids can get used to it.  skype dates with the kids helps them, talking on the phone helps.  for yourself use skype time as well.  Depending what he does when the older one is off from school consider going with if you can.  I go with often.

i work on the house, purge, its fall so fall cleaning is a must, also selling things and getting ready for SO to move in fully.  plus right now we are a week off and working on the house and gettin the garage ready to come down and store the things in there or sell/give away.

long distance sucks but you take advantage of the moments together.  his kids skype when the mother isn't busy and has time for the kids to be skyping with dad.  some weeks its a few night other weeks none.  but when they see him in person the joy is amazing on their faces especially the 8 yr old.  2 yr old hasn't known anything differently.

littlemrsd
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Believe me I don't reward them! 

Quoting Fayanne:

ignore the 15 mo tantrums, or you'll just be rewarding them

do what needs to be done daily, have him pitch in on the weekends.

coming home on weekends shouldn't be a vacation for him.

Not sure what other advice you were looking for.

LadyBast
by Brenda on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Sorry no idea hubby used to do this but many years ago and I hated it.. I stayed w/our daughter and did what mom's do.. It was normal and no choice..

gmoen1977
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

For me balancing everything at the house is easy because I was doing it all before we met not quite 7 months ago.  But it is hard when he is away to not be thinking about him and he of me or his family and kids. I started dating and he has always been a pipeliner in our relationship.  It is hard and for some couples they don't make it.  If he is doing this traveling long term could consider home schooling and going on the road with him as well and have someone watch the big house while your away.  Networking with like wives also helps maybe there is a mining group on fb that you can join.

AlannaMaria
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I think skyping- FaceTime will help. You just need to find things to keep yourself and the kids busy. My husband doesn't travel but leaves for work around 6:30am and doesn't get home until 9,10,11pm and we have no family here and two kids. I joined the gym when my youngest was 9months because I was going crazy. They have child are there! That was 3 years ago and u still go m-f every morning. It's nice because I was able to meet other moms, friends and have adult interaction and get a good workout. I started with the group fitness classes to get motivated and learn. My kids get to play with there friends there and I get a brake from them! It's awesome! It's me and the kids all the time and I just try and keep them busy as much as possible and plan stuff with other moms so I get that adult interaction.
Good luck mama! Hang in there.
littlemrsd
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Don't get me wrong, I do all of the cooking and cleaning in the house. I take care of the girls and he plays with them most of the time. All of the mom and wife things isn't hard to balance. He does take the trash out front to get picked up and does all of the guy things. I however can't mow the yard though. I don't think that homeschooling is something that i could do. My husbands job is more dangerous then a normal miner because they are working under unsupportive or weak top fixing the roof of the mines. I worry about him all of the time.

Quoting gmoen1977:

For me balancing everything at the house is easy because I was doing it all before we met not quite 7 months ago.  But it is hard when he is away to not be thinking about him and he of me or his family and kids. I started dating and he has always been a pipeliner in our relationship.  It is hard and for some couples they don't make it.  If he is doing this traveling long term could consider home schooling and going on the road with him as well and have someone watch the big house while your away.  Networking with like wives also helps maybe there is a mining group on fb that you can join.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)