Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Have you ever pined for an ex?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM
  • 13 Replies

Are You Still in Love With Your Ex?

by Aunt Becky

So you're hanging out with your new boy and all of a sudden, he leans in to give you a kiss and you're transported back to that one time with your ex. Suddenly, you're bathing in the memories of the good times you and your ex once had, wishing he were beside you and wondering why you're feeling all mixed up.

Could it be? Could you still be in love with your ex?

I vote NO.

First, I should probably clarify that I've never dated an ex again after we've broken up, which is a cardinal rule for me: never date an ex. I know a lot of people do just that: they break up, make up, break up, make up ad nauseum.

So why are you bathing in those feelings about your ex? Why is your relationship playing out in a nice montage with a Celine Dion song in the background?

Simple. Leftovers.

It's really easy to hold onto those leftover feelings about your ex. It's the reason we don't walk around holding our heads in our hands steeped in regret, wondering why, oh why, we bothered with that bleeping jerk.

It's so beyond easy to forget about all of those ugly moments, the reasons you broke up, the reasons you're not actually in love with the guy any more. That montage of happy pictures set to that Celine Dion song is a really hard one to shake.

But your ex is your ex for a reason.

Which is why you can hold onto the happy bits of your former relationship, make them out to be better than they actually were, and occasionally reminisce about all the sweet times without going back to your ex or getting hung up on wistfulness and what if's.

Because moving on? Better than living in the past.

Have you ever pined for an ex?

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CharlotteRose
by Charlotte on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I will sometimes go down memory lane but then reality will hit and BOOM then I will realize why he is my EX and I do live by the golden rule never ever go back to dating an ex!  Love your post!!!

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM

My first real true love from high school I didnt get over him until after my 16 yr divorce to my first husband (that I shouldnt have married) and until 2 yrs after my divorce when I was in my mid 30s and finally met my greatest love of my life, my soulmate/bff husband Todd, then I was finally healed and over my high school sweetheart Completely.

YVONNE

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM

No, I've never been inlove with anyone other than my DH.  It was always fairly easy to walk away from my past relationships.

brannew
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Never took relationships seriously until I got pregnant.  So, no, I've never pined over an ex. 

rstuart66
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I only go back to my first boyfriend in my mind.  He was very sweet and I have a lot of what ifs in my head.  Everyone else was a jerk and I'd never go down that road again.  

shorty13417
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM

no.. never pined over an ex  but i have pined for someone who isn't an ex... i know sounds stupid but i have.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Oh no!!

Serenity7
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I don't have a ex

disastermind
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Now no, in the past yes.

mistressflora
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Nope, the only thing I ever think about is how bad they treated me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)