Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Do you let your kids watch tv?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM
  • 58 Replies

I do not pay for network tv or cable. I find there is too much crap on tv these days,and when I used to pay for cable there was always a hundred commercials and nothing to watch on over 200 channels. Most of the time I buy age a ppropriate videos or netflix kid tv for my children who are 7, 5, and 1. My kids do not actually watch that much tv which is something I am proud of. I know too many people who use tv as a babysitter. Most of the time when they do sit down and watch something it is usually no longer than two hours. They get turns,one hour each, they really prefer to play imaginative games which they make up as they go along. I am curious though, does anybody else feel it's necessary or a good thing to limit tv time for their kids?

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM
8 moms liked this

My kids wtch more TV than any "doctor" or "professional" would ever agree with. I really could care less. 

They are also in school, sports, activities and CCD. So when they have down time--like all of August! Lol--they watch TV or movies. 

Oh, and my 7 year old gets straight A's in school and is very smart. We will find out about the 3 year old.....

sasismommy
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM
i only have a two year old but they watch tv at he baby sitter. at home she can watch it when cartoons are on. other then that she is not allowed ti watch it. the doc said no more then 20 minutes a day. she watxhes a little more then that but i am more worried about tye cobtent of what she watchea. not neccesarily how long
Liudmyla
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids watch PBS when I need a break.

Raeann11
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Some days we hardly watch any. If it is nice out. We are outside. Then some days we watch quite a bit. Especially in the winter months. When it is negative outside for some time.
cntrdmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Netflix here too. I am starting to limit that. We've been through a lot and I have a lot of work to do around the house so I allow a little more tv than of usually like. I do think there should be a limit. Also we don't put tv's in the bedrooms although my mom fights me on that all the time. She keeps wanting my to our a TV in my oldest dd's room and I won't.
MagicTemptation
by Christina on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

We do the Netflix and Amazon Prime. Our kids love horror and zombie type shows/movies. As long as they are not sexually explicit we let them watch. Something with some cuss words is okay with us but if almost every other word people are cussing, no. 

goddiddlyumshis
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Not really. We're rarely home and were too active.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaLeighsMommy11
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM
When dd first wakes up she watches a little bit of tv, and then right before her nap I turn on cartoons and let her watch an episode to wind down and then she sometimes will watch it right before bed depending on how sleepy she is or whatever. She is more into playing but she is OBSESSED with the show Sophia the first & she loves doc mcstuffins. She rarely watches movies and if we ever do (like if she is sick or something and just wanting to lay around all day) she only wants to watch Tangled lol. Thats her favorite princess doll and movie. I see nothing wrong with occasional tv as long as its an age appropriate thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orchardmoma
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:36 PM

We have movie Friday. We go all out with snacks, bean bag chairs and blankies and stuffed animals. That is the only tv time they have. So that's about 1.5 hours a week.  We stay pretty busy through the week. If we weren't so busy they might watch a little more but I don't feel it's necessary. 

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:39 PM

We have "on-peak" and "off-peak" electric times so the ONLY reason they only watch 30 minutes of TV M-F is because the cheap electric starts 30 minutes before their bedtime!  On the weekends, we let them watch more, but their friends are home so they are outside playing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)