Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IUD didn't come out!

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 24 Replies
After 10yrs with an iud I went to the doc to have it removed. The first time the strings broke. The second time it hurt so bad I felt like I was in labor. So now I have to be numbed and dialated to remove it. I would never have put it in if I knew it would do this.
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicolle_09
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM

consider yourself lucky that you are not having surgery to have it removed, some women have to have it surgically removed because it embeddes in the cervix or uterus. Im glad mine was removed before a year even if it was because of medical reasons 

TommyAbby
by Melissa on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Why did you keep it in so long?!?!? Those are only supposed to stay in for 5yrs tops. 

OliviaW.
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM
That's why I like the one in my arm.
Nicolle_09
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Not true, it depends on the IUD. Paragard can stay in for up to 12 years but most recommend only 10 years. Mirena is a shorter period of 5 years. 

Quoting TommyAbby:

Why did you keep it in so long?!?!? Those are only supposed to stay in for 5yrs tops. 

BatMom.
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM
That's no good! It's a risk with IUDs, unfortunately. I have had two (Mirena for three years - HELL - and I currently have Paragard). Good luck and hope all goes smoothly.
TommyAbby
by Melissa on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Ahhhh.... I didn't realize that. OUCH. I have the Mirena and it was replaced at the 5yr mark and WOW the cramping and pain when she did changed it. 

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Not true, it depends on the IUD. Paragard can stay in for up to 12 years but most recommend only 10 years. Mirena is a shorter period of 5 years. 

Quoting TommyAbby:

BatMom.
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Exactly! I guess not everyone knows there's more than one type of IUD.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Quoting TommyAbby:

Nicolle_09
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Actually most people dont and you can blame the medical community for that. I wanted the Paragard and when I told my OB i wanted an IUD she said i would have to find something else because I cant take hormonal bc and I said no I want the Paragard which is non-hormonal. The Mirena was the only thing she thought of when it came to IUDs which is sad.

Quoting BatMom.:

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Quoting TommyAbby:

BatMom.
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Yep..and I was actually one of them, when I first pondered the idea of getting an IUD. My doc didn't tell me there was another one aside from Mirena either, which could have saved me three years of hell. Ugh.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Actually most people dont and you can blame the medical community for that. I wanted the Paragard and when I told my OB i wanted an IUD she said i would have to find something else because I cant take hormonal bc and I said no I want the Paragard which is non-hormonal. The Mirena was the only thing she thought of when it came to IUDs which is sad.

Quoting BatMom.:

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Quoting TommyAbby:

Nicolle_09
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM

damn doctors lol i think the Mirena costs more so thats probably why, they make more money off of it

Quoting BatMom.:

Yep..and I was actually one of them, when I first pondered the idea of getting an IUD. My doc didn't tell me there was another one aside from Mirena either, which could have saved me three years of hell. Ugh.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Quoting BatMom.:

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Quoting TommyAbby:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)