Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Do you go to your ex's families funerals?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM
  • 25 Replies

So, DH said his ex's mom is really bad and he will need to go to the funeral (even though he never liked her). Is this what you do? Will I be expected to fly to my ex husbands mom's funeral when she passes away?  I can see in the same town both of us stopping at visitation but I don't see that he should go to the funeral and be all around all that when it happens. He isn't part of their life anymore. Also, DH thinks you list all your ex's in the obituary when somebody passes. I've never read about ex wives in an obit?!

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fayanne
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I have no clue.

With my SO's ex...her father died while he was married to her. Her first dh/ex sent flowers to the funeral home, but did not attend.  My SO thought that showed a lot of class.

I really don't think there would be any social or moral obligation for your dh to go unless they were close, or unless his children from that ex would need his emotional support.

You do NOT list ex's in obituaries. You DO list biological grandchildren, and step grandchildren if they are in a close relationship.

pittymama
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM

um... no i never would and DH never would either. 

MagicTemptation
by Christina on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I will go to my ex MIL and FIL funeral if they pass away before me. (ex MIL isn't doing well). And I will be balling my eyes out. My own parents sucked. My ex's parents have been there for me since I was 13. 

I think it is a personal preference. For me, they are in large part responsible for the person I am today. (I'm also on good terms with my ex.) 

I have never heard about listing ex's in an obituary. 

Bmama1
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM
I don't really have any exes.
godsgirl26
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Quoting pittymama:

um... no i never would and DH never would either. 

soymujer
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I don't plan on going to my ex's families funerals...though most of his family are in another country so I'd never know if they died or not...in fact, they could have died already.  I don't expect him to come to mine.  I've seen some people list that they were married to someone before but not a norm.

gmoen1977
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:36 PM

If he was close to the family and remained clo post divorce ok but not liking the woman and not staying in contact means no need to go.  If he feels the need to then send a card.  As for Ed's in an obit.  Who is he kidding.  Not happening.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Absolutely I would if it was in the same state, or if I could afford to fly, if I loved the deceased.

CampClan
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I was going to last November when his grandpa passed. Even after I found out his gf was going to be there. Ended up not going because I felt it wasn't the right place for our kids too find out about daddy's gf.
BeaTx
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:10 AM
The only reason I'd ever go to my ex mils funeral is to be sure she's indeed dead! She is Satan incarnate. I might throw a party, though. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)