Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Do you and your husband have different tastes when it comes to....

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM
  • 40 Replies

Interior decorating?

Ugh, we do. I prefer upscale minimalist. My husband, at 37, has the taste of an 18 year old frat boy. He wants lava lamps, plasma balls, and these super ugly wolf paintings that he acquired over a decade ago, in combination with all of his Ohio State football memorabilia. In our old house we had two floors and A LOT more square footage, so I relegated all of his ugly stuff to the upstairs family room where no one can see it. We just lost 650 sq feet and a family room, now my husband wants to put all of his ugly, tacky shit in our living room. We need stuff to cover the walls, and he told me that if I don't like it, that I could go and buy different things. So, not only did I agree but I grabbed my keys to go and do so. I didn't make it out the door before he got angry and started pouting. GAH, I'm going to have to compromise and have at least some tacky, nasty decor. 

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmama1
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this
My husband doesn't care at all. I could redecorate the whole house and he probably would be like "meh, what's for dinner? ". Lol!
earthangel1967
Happy Sept! I changed my siggy & profile for Sept. This month I'll be spending time in Love & Marriage & Frugalistas & Everyday Family Ideas groups. See you there! :D
Today at 1:35 AM
by YVONNE on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM

shrugginglol My ex liked antiques so when I was with him I decorated in antiques style, hardwood floors, stained glass window, fireplace etc. Americana living room because his last name was yankee. I much much preferred modern but I knew I could do a good job with his style too and I was more conservative than I am now so it kind of fit.

goodHappily Todd and I have the exact same interior decorating taste, but while he cares about it a lot I am kind of passionate about it. We both love a contemporary modern spa like zen like kind of look. Both hate clutter, both love art but the art has to match the style and colors of the room and also have personal sentimental or inspiriational meaning to us both. We picked it out all together. We are not done decorating our apt yet, we have parts of it done and we are choosing everything together. Well actually most of it "I" find it and then I show it to Todd to make sure he loves it as much as I do and as long as he does we save up to get it asap.

YVONNE

MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I have to say I'm thankful hubby isn't big on decorating. He just put up his electric guitar in the living room last night and I had no idea. I don't mind though, he's losing room to put his amp&guitars because I'm pregnant. We're converting the computer/guest room into the nursery.

Right now most of our walls are white lol no decor, nothing. We have 4 pics of dd up but that's it. I need to buy decor stuff but have no clue what to get.
BonitaM
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I'm fortunate that DH and I have the same tastes.  If I add something he appreciates it and if he adds something I apperciate it.  Right now we are looking at blinds and both want the wooden ones we had at our old place.  I'm excited because they're beautiful and this will give me a good excuse to paint a few rooms.

kidlover2
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM
My husband's taste is "whatever makes you happy dear, but stay out of my garage" :)
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Eh, Who knows. My husband has no opinion on how I decorate the house. As long as he has a comfortable place to lay down at night and a tv he doesn't give a crap. 

MagicTemptation
by Christina on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I wouldn't want that stuff in my livingroom either. Is there any other place in the house that wouldn't be a hot spot? Or find a way to space it out throughout the house? 

Kevin doesn't care one way or the other about how the house looks. But he has alot of "keepsakes". We have had secondhand/used/old furniture and such for years. Now that the kids are getting older (youngest is 3) we are starting to redecorate more to my taste with new things. 

MrsHayward1
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM

He says its the female job to decorate the house as long as its comfortable

jenaree
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM

We have mostly similar tastes but he is super sentimental and wants these old pictures, pieces of furniture, etc just because his grandma or mom gave them to us. It's not like they are family heirlooms, just stuff like a ugly landscape painting they were going to throw out or an old chair. Even his mom asked the last time she was at our house why we still have some of the stuff we do. I told her her son was a pack rat!

OMGLasersPOWPOW
by Krystal on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM
I think we have the same tastes. We just redid our kitchen together and he went with all of my ideas.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)