Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Lost and Confused..

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM
  • 27 Replies
Is it ever too late to start counseling?

What if you're still fighting over things that happened FOUR YEARS ago? Too late?

What if you're hanging on by a thread? Too late?
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jmlmomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

no it's never to late to change or get help.

AlannaMaria
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
It's never to late if both people are willing to put in the effort to fix it.
shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM
What if you're just so emotionally exhausted? How do you get the energy to put the effort in?

Quoting AlannaMaria:

Texasladybug84
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:48 PM
If both want to make it work and work hard at it then nothings impossible
furbabymum
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM

It's never too late. When we started marriage counseling together my Dh brought up something that happened BEFORE WE WERE MARRIED. Aka my student loan debt which he paid off the first year we were married. This was 6 YEARS after the fact. lol

furbabymum
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Well that's what is so great about counseling. It a comfort. It'll be tough at first but it just gets better and better if you're working on things.

Where there is a will there is a way.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

What if you're just so emotionally exhausted? How do you get the energy to put the effort in?

Quoting AlannaMaria:

shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM
I'm scared out of my mind...

Quoting furbabymum:

Well that's what is so great about counseling. It a comfort. It'll be tough at first but it just gets better and better if you're working on things.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting AlannaMaria:

furbabymum
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM

It's ok. Been there, done that. Just dragged my DH to marriage counseling for a follow up session this week. lol Just realize that the first person you go to might not be a great fit. It took us a few counselors to find the one we have now and she's INCREDIBLE! So just don't give up if it doesn't go the way you expect. I've even had to leave the room because he made me so upset I had to go to the bathroom and vent it out. lol We always feel at least marginally better after counseling. At least we got to express things. You can do it!!!!!

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting AlannaMaria:

shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM
That's another worry of mine. I did things that some people may not understand. I don't need the therapist telling me it doesn't make sense... It made sense to me at the time. I wasn't in my right mind...

I just wish life had a do over button.

Quoting furbabymum:

It's ok. Been there, done that. Just dragged my DH to marriage counseling for a follow up session this week. lol Just realize that the first person you go to might not be a great fit. It took us a few counselors to find the one we have now and she's INCREDIBLE! So just don't give up if it doesn't go the way you expect. I've even had to leave the room because he made me so upset I had to go to the bathroom and vent it out. lol We always feel at least marginally better after counseling. At least we got to express things. You can do it!!!!!

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting AlannaMaria:

furbabymum
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Whatever you did, they've seen crazier. Guaranteed! lol Our first marriage counselor wasn't helpful and blamed my DH for everything. If you get one that tries to do that don't go back. You can do the blame placing without having to pay someone. You should be looking for someone who listens and watches how you interact. Then they comment. Our counselor comments on how we work together. She points out things we may not have noticed. This will sound awful but when we first went to counseling our counselor pointed out that my DH smiled every time I cried. Totally not something either of us were consciously aware of. lol Figuring that out was really helpful. So counseling should help you get over what has happened and build a future together. Appropriate communication is something that you'll learn and it'll change your life.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

That's another worry of mine. I did things that some people may not understand. I don't need the therapist telling me it doesn't make sense... It made sense to me at the time. I wasn't in my right mind...

I just wish life had a do over button.

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting AlannaMaria:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN