Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

F***ing Divorce

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM
  • 16 Replies
My ex and I are divorcing and he's out of state I have the paper work but how do I serve him if I don't have an address?
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DKk0531
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:35 PM
3 moms liked this
im not sure what your state laws are, but when i had to serve my ex with legal papers and didnt have an address they told me if i at least knew the town he was in to publish it in the local newspaper. i threanted him with that and he gave me an address lol. idk if that would work. call the court clerk and ask
gmoen1977
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM

i have to have an address everytime that I have to serve contempt orders of the divorce.  i send with his girlfriends number  just in case he moved.

the other trick send a letter to his known address and put return service requested and if moved you get the adress back and pay the post office the fee to get his address to serve him correctly.

Fayanne
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:52 PM

he doesn't pay support? he left without leaving an address? what does your lawyer say?

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I am not sure? Good luck though!

RJsMommy0828
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:30 AM

cant afford one

Quoting Fayanne:

he doesn't pay support? he left without leaving an address? what does your lawyer say?

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know the answer to your serving papers to unknown address but as far as not being able to afford a lawyer... when I wanted to divorce my ex husband and get full custody of our 4 kids .. I had no money and no job and certainly couldnt afford a lawyer either. I suggest you do what I did because it served me very very well!

Find your  local LEGAL AID office and set up appt to see if you qualify for a free 'pro bono' lawyer. I did qualify and so my free lawyer helped me from the beginning with serving him the papers to everything in between, geting me full custody and division of property and child support all the way thru the full year of divorce proceedings that it takes in MI by law when kids are required to the final day the divorce was finalized and even helped me get my last name changed back to my maiden name  as I requested. SOOOO grateful.

good luck

Quoting RJsMommy0828:

cant afford one

Quoting Fayanne:

YVONNE

KellyNips
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:19 AM

it gets published in the paper of the state he is in.

xoxRachelxox
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM

The only thing I can think of, would be to place an ad in the paper. I know that's what they do for child support and other matters where you don't know the address.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Print it in the newspaper. Though to do that you usually have to show you've tried other methods. You can always do a credit/home search for him. I did those all the time when I was working in debt collections.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM

On top of what Earthangel said about finding a lawyer if you live nearish a law school they usually have free legal help there. Try that as well.

Quoting RJsMommy0828:

cant afford one

Quoting Fayanne:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)