Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Too Young?

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM
  • 46 Replies
I know everybody has their own opinions about the age of marrying but for me I got married at the age of 18. (which was last year in November) We been together since 2007 and we decided to tie the knot after all those years :) We do face different issues than someone who might have been married at an older age but we find solutions and work through it. Everything we faced only made us stronger!

I do understand that 18 is young but does it make a difference if we been together for little over 5 years before then? For me I do think its crazy if the two only knew each other for maybe 1 year or less before they got married and they were both young. But people always look at me different when I say I'm married.

What is your opinion? Is 18 too young or does it depend on how long they dated before?

Comment! Thanks!!
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I think age has very little to do with it.  For me the most important part is that both parties are committed to one another, love each other, and want to be married.  I met my DH when I was 18 he was 20 we married when I was 19 and he was 21.  We've had our issues like every married couple plus some that a lot of couples don't face and we'll be celebrating 12 years this November. 

Armywifeholcomb
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I think it really depends on the people.
My parents got married at 18&25, they've been married over 40 years.
DH got married to his first wife when he was young, they were two very different people that shouldn't have been together. It lasted longer than it should have bc of kids, finally divorced after many separations.
My brothers and sisters are all with their SOs they met when they were teens/early 20s, been together 10+ years and still strong. My oldest sister got married to BIL when she was in her 30's and they're having problems.
It just depends on the people, but I've SEEN it work & not. Good luck! Stay strong together!
createive
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I think everyone is different.

i'm 49 and I do know I have learned, changed and have grown a lot, I'm in my second (happy) marriage and have had three serious relationships (including the marriages). All relationships I dated for several years before I married or decided not to marry.

The only advice I can share, is I think a monogamous relationship constantly evolves and the challenges become greater as time goes on. You age and change, kids, finances, work and all. Keep in tune wth each other. Be open to counsleing if needed. Try to grow and evolve together and know when to let go when someone has a different interest. Marriage is one of the most challenging and rewarding relationships I have ever endeavored.

If people look at you funny Ithink it'sjust because being married at 18 in this day and age is different. I think statistically, people are getting older these days. Not good or bad just different.

Good luck to both of you and "happy anniversary" coming up, with many more happy years to come.

MagicTemptation
by Christina on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I started dating my exhusband at 13 (he was 14). We got married at 19 (him 20) and divorced at 22. I serious thought up until the last year we would be together forever. The truth is...you never know. 

A couple could be together for 10 years before getting married and still divorce. A couple could met and marrying within 3 months and stay together forever. 

SareyF
by Sarah on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM
I think being young can make things more difficult (because your brain hasn't developed completely) but I think if both parties want to, they can usually work whatever obstacles out. Dh and I were 21 and 20 when we got married. We still had A LOT of growing up to do. We were changing as individuals and as a couple. We've been married for 9 years and I wouldn't change it.
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I married at 18 and had only known him 5 months. :P

UCFknight
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I was 19, my husband had just turned 20. We have been able to grown together as adults. We were together 3 years prior to that. got a lot of whispers that we were too young, and divorced in five. We have had plenty of struggles and overcame  a lot. We love each other and if the good Lord allows it, will stay together for a very long long time.

deadlights86
by Emily on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:22 PM
It depends on the people. I'm glad I didn't get married at 18 I was immature and not with the right person.
Latinclau
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM
I was 19 and Dh 28 , it was hard the first year , we only date about 4 monts before and there wore cultural and communication issues , but we handle then very good.. I know I become more mature because he help me mature .. We been together 8 years .. I think if there is love is possible ..
ELKmountain.mom
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM
18 is young either way. You will see how much you end up changing in the up coming decade and it will blow your mind. With that said what you become as a couple is up to the two of you!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)