Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Does you SO go on "spending binges"

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM
  • 22 Replies

Let's say SO gets a lot of over time or does a side job or falls into a bit of extra cash.

Does your SO "start shopping" what ever that may be IE concert tickets, going out, buying guy stuff?

We are both divorced and recently married. We share expenses and discuss things but I notice a trend- he gets kinda spend happy.

Yes, I am conservative (so is he, he's not a big spender, we are aligned on this subject) on one hand I think, he deserves it he should get it, on the other hand I think, it's no that much money put it in savings. 

I never say no, I don't want him coming back and wishing he had seen that concert or whatever. He gets 2 tickets one for him and his son, then he wants to get one for my daughter, then a small expense is a bigger expense... and then he hits Ebay...

He does ask me, but what am I gonna say- no? Then he gets all excited about the concert and it's all he can talk about. I don't care about the concert (for example) but it's almost like he's looking for my approval. Like I said, I don't say no but I find it really hard to say yes.

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MagicTemptation
by Christina on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Yes he is. He way of thinking, "If we have it, enjoy because you never know what tomorrow will bring." 

We have money set aside for savings and emergency, but anytime we have extra money left over, he goes shopping crazy.

kjfamily
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:10 PM

My husband loves eBay and has been buying vintage skateboards and vans! Cry .. Made him make his own room for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM

DH is salaried, so no overtime. DH puts a lot of thought and research into his purchases and he'll run some ideas past me. His most recent "splurge" was a Corvette, but it only cost him the price of gas to drive halfway across the state and back.

createive
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Oh Ebay... makes me wanna cry sometimes. LOL

Quoting kjfamily:

My husband loves eBay and has been buying vintage skateboards and vans! Cry .. Made him make his own room for them.

furbabymum
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I wish he did. Unfortunately he's more into hoarding. Now I'm the binger... :(

xoxRachelxox
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:53 PM

He doesn't but if he did, I wouldn't care. He works his ass off to make money, he should be able to spend it on himself sometimes.

MomToovey
by Marianne on Sep. 30, 2013 at 4:12 PM

No, my DH almost makes it a competition with himself to try to save more this month than he did last month!

Fayanne
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:59 PM

ehmmm... he is definitely a spender, and I am a saver. We're not married or living together, so it will be interesting when we do combine things.

When he buys things, he often says "Because I can", but he knows he needs to be careful. His family had no money growing up, and now that he makes good money, he does sometimes blow it. He knows he needs to be careful, but he isn't always careful.

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:24 PM

We both do.  We're both shopaholics....he just buys expensive car stuff or "toys" and I buy stuff for the house or go to the dollar store....and trust me you can spend hundreds at the dollar store. lol  We're both the live for today kind of people and as long as the bills are paid and there's food on the table we don't care where the rest of it goes.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM

We don't share money. He can spend as much as he wants, and he does, but if he overspends he's up shit creek with only himself to blame.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN