Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Widow/widower dating

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • 4 Replies
I was reading this advice column in the globe(local paper). So this man asked if he could bring his new lady friend to his step kids house for the holidays. His wife had passed on a few months before.

It started me thinking of my grandfather who had been with my grandmother for like twenty plus years. He isn't my moms real dad but that isn't a real big issue. Anywho my grandfather started dating this lady a few months after my grandma passed on. No one liked her and it could have been my grandmother passing was fresh for everyone. She told us she loved my grandfather but because everyone was stand offish with her my grandfather stopped dating her. Which leads to my question

What is a good time to date after your spouse passes on and does the amount of time change as you get older?
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
AlannaMaria
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I guess i can't say.. I don't know if i could or would want to date someone after my spouse passed :( 

help1027
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

My step dad past away April of 2012.  I don't think I have ever seen a greater love than what was shared between my mom and stepdad.  He was an amazing man and brought not only love and happiness to my mother's life but to our inter family.  With that said, after about 6 months my mother decided that she was ready to start dating again.  My sister and I were in no way ready for this, but it is my mother's life, we have NO right to tell her when the time would be right.  Life is too short, and the one who has past would want nothing but joy and happiness for those left behind...

vlr4x4
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband passed away 3 years ago (I'm only 27) and I didn't go out on a date until almost 2 years later. But I know people who have gone alot longer, I wouldn't begrudge anyone finding some happiness after something like loosing a spouse. Everyone handles things differently and moving on is the hardest thing to do. Just because your grandfather found someone to spend time with doesn't mean he forgot about your grandmother, it was wrong of his family to treat his GF that way in my opinion.
BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I really don't know.  I think I'd probably sleep around a lot if DH would up and die on me now but I wouldn't want another relationship.  It's just my way of coping with things.  If I was older and my sex drive for whatever reason did take a nose dive I think I'd just keep to myself and not want any company of any kind. 

That being said....elderly people tend to be more lonely from what I've seen and don't have the time a young person has to find someone else.  I also believe, that for the most part, they are seeking a companion rather than someone to replace their spouse, so it makes sense that an older person wouldn't need as much time to start looking for someone should they choose to.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN