Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

IF You Had Your Wedding To Do Over Again Anyway You Want....

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:50 AM
  • 80 Replies

weddingshruggingbride groom

If you  had your wedding or committment ceremony to do all over again and could do it HOWEVER you really want to, would you  have done it again the exact same way or would you  do somethings differently?

If so  what would you have done differently?

YVONNE

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:52 AM

1. My first wedding at 18 that I should NOT have had in the first place I didnt really do at all like how "I" wanted to, I only thought about what would impress my extensively large family and did everything very traditional and very unlike me. It was lovely but so generic. The biggest thing I'd have changed though is to not go thru with it at ALL! lol seriously!

2. With mine and Todd's wedding, it was so unique and personalized and symbolic and detailed and untraditional, it was so US and so perfect even if I had a lot lot more money to spend on it, I don't think I'd change a thing.

YVONNE

LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:56 AM
I would of done a lot differently. My mom and dad were paying for it, (which I do greatly appreciate) but that lead to a lot of my mom saying, "well WE are paying for it, so we are doing it the way I want it done." So a lot of what I wanted got pushed aside for fear of "what would people think if we did _____?!?" Including putting up an open invitation for our reception at the bar my parents owned. We had 500 plus people at the reception, a HUGE chunk of which I didn't even know. I wanted simpler, quieter.
BonitaM
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this

The only thing I would have done different is instead of going to see friends right after eloping I would have liked to have gone away a couple of days and not told anybody where we were.  Honestly if that piece of paper wasn't so important to me I don't think we would have gotten married at all.  I imagine us sneaking off into the forest by a lake making promises of commitment to each other with the moon relfecting in the water and only sounds of nature around us.  It's a hot night, lit only by the moon and there are no bugs around and we both feel the sentiment of our words.  No witnesses, nobody but us.  Might still do that to reaffirm our commitment to each other since we've been through so much in the last year.

Mommabearbergh
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:01 AM
3 moms liked this
On a beach in Martha vineyard no shoes a very simple dress and more personalized rings. Our ten year is going to be the wedding we wanted.
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:03 AM

awwww even though its nice to help pay for  it I still as a parent would 100% want my kids to do it their way not my way, its supposed to be THEIR special day the way they  dream of it being to match their personalities and tastes not anyone elses.

Quoting LeilaBeansMom:

I would of done a lot differently. My mom and dad were paying for it, (which I do greatly appreciate) but that lead to a lot of my mom saying, "well WE are paying for it, so we are doing it the way I want it done." So a lot of what I wanted got pushed aside for fear of "what would people think if we did _____?!?" Including putting up an open invitation for our reception at the bar my parents owned. We had 500 plus people at the reception, a HUGE chunk of which I didn't even know. I wanted simpler, quieter.

YVONNE

LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree! When my girls get married someday I hope I am in the position to help them out. But I will do it as just a donation of $xxxx for them to spend on what they want. I won't pull the "my way or I won't pay for it" card.

Quoting earthangel1967:

awwww even though its nice to help pay for  it I still as a parent would 100% want my kids to do it their way not my way, its supposed to be THEIR special day the way they  dream of it being to match their personalities and tastes not anyone elses.

Quoting LeilaBeansMom:

jess80
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:18 AM
My first and only marriage so far ended in divorce.... I wish my MIL would have listened to me when I told her I messed up and wasn't ready for marriage :(
I was right she was wrong. Lol. I have been with my SO for 8 years and I'm afraid to get remarried
Kikuhoshi
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:20 AM
I wish we would have went to the courthouse like we planned, but I let my mom talk me into a backyard wedding. Of course, my dad's spawn couldn't stomach a day that wasn't about him, got drunk, refused to be in any family groupings/photos, got my husband Josh sloshed, started a fight, forced me to abandon my plan of staying the night (for the safety of my son, Luke - did NOT want violence around the baby) & disowned us all because we "humiliated" him. Hooray, family!
unsuspected
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:31 AM
Our "wedding" was a re do.
We first said "I do" in my parents living room, no guests, no dress, no cake, no flowers ... just man and wife.
10 years later we had our vow renewal. We were paying, so no parent/budget drama. And I handmade every detail. I found my ideal dress at a steal. Our kids were part of the day. And I was marrying my best friend, again!
The only thing I would change is hiring a way better photographer because all we have left is pictures.
Fayanne
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:59 AM

I made my dress... didn't try any on, and now I wish I had.. just for fun.

I wouldn't let my mother's ideas get to me so much...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)