Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Your Spouse Cheating? Here’s the 1 Thing You Need to Find Out

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 8 Replies

Is Your Spouse Cheating? Here’s the 1 Thing You Need to Find Out

by Kiri Blakeley

When it comes to sussing out whether your partner is cheating, there are all sorts of methods. Breaking into emails. GPS devices. Private investigators. But, hey, did you know that there's apparently something a LOT more simple that could unequivocally let you know if your honey is stepping out on you? Dang, why didn't I think of this before? It makes so much sense. A study has concluded that people's voices change depending on who they're talking to. So your voice is totally different when you're talking to your spouse versus your children or your boss. Or your luvah. Yeah, people have a "cheating voice."

The Albright College study concluded that people's tones are more "sexy," "pleasant," and "reflecting greater romantic interest" when chatting with a luvah than when they're speaking to their friends or family. I mean, duh, right?! And men speak in a higher pitch when talking to women. Women apparently lower their pitch when talking to men. Said head study researcher Susan Hughes:

It’s not just that we change the sound of our voice, but that others can easily perceive those changes.

Researchers also concluded that people spoke differently to those with whom they were romantically involved, and that those modulations in the voice could be used to detect when someone was talking to a person they were cheating with.

Additionally, those who were involved with new lovers had tones that reflected "stress, nervousness, and lack of confidence" -- possibly for fear of being rejected.

So there you have it. If your husband is on the phone with someone and sounds sexy, pleasant, stressed, and nervous -- he's cheating! Or, you know, not. Make sure you get some concrete evidence before accusing your spouse of anything.

I read a book awhile ago about a woman who found out her husband was having an affair with a woman he was working with -- because the tone of her voice on their voicemail, even though she was discussing work, was so flirty.

The problem is, who the hell talks on the phone anymore?! And shared answering machine messages have also gone by the wayside.

So good luck hearing your partner actually talking to his or her lover. Maybe buy him a rotary phone for his birthday? Or hand him a script and ask him to read it out to every single female he knows?

Or just break into his email like normal people!

Have you ever caught anyone cheating by the sound of their voice?

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Bmama1
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM
That makes sense.

But no, I haven't caught anyone cheating like that. Lol.
Smoore922
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Interesting... Lol to the rotary phone and shared voivemail. And what balls some poeple have to even talk to their "lovers" in front of their wives. Then again... My ex did sleep with my "bff" LOL I should have payed more attention to their tone of voice!

L.A.F.outloud
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:37 AM

My husband's voice changes when he's talking to women he likes.  Not that I think he's cheated with any of them because 1)They wouldn't and 2)It would be very hard for him to manage because there isn't too many times that I don't know where he is.  Do I think he'd cheat if he got the chance?  Yes, if he was sure he could get away with it and he was half in the bag.  I don't think he would if he was sober.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:02 AM
No I haven't caught anyone that way! But my husband makes his voice go deeper for me! LOL
It makes sense with the voice afflictions.
earthangel1967
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:10 AM

No I never have that way.

As for Todd, he has a strong authoritive like voice but he softens it up mostly just for me, but also sometimes for our adult kids if they are going thru a hard time and when we were sitting and talking to his mom while she took her last breaths. He also talks softer to my mom who we all spoil and baby including him. But he talks to me in an extra extra loving tone unlike with anyone else.

YVONNE

LadyBast
by Brenda on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Great post and nope I have heard it in friends voices!

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Negative...we have shared voicemail and when he is working upstairs, I can hear him talking on the phone all day long...same tone all the time. He loathes the phone so his annoyance shows although I doubt those on the other end of his myraid of phone conferences can tell as they don't know him as well as I do. 

Besides... my Dh would not cheat on me. His moral compass would never allow it to happen. :-) 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

WifeyandMom71
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Wonderful post!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)