Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wwyd? UPDATE

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM
  • 21 Replies
We currently rent a house. Weve had a lot of issues such as constant flooding in the basement causing mold (making downstairs/garage unstorable). Which is a huge problem. Well my dad came the other day and notice cracks in the foundation. When you push on the cynderblocks you can see them move along with the pipes attached. We talked to the landlord and theyll get to it eventually so they said.

My parents own 6 acres with their house that they live in. They offered us half the property to build a house or put a new trailer on. We obviously would pay for the trailer and what needs to be done with it. All they ask is we pay the tax increase once the house is put up.

Im all on board for this. They would continue to actually own the land (in the deed it states they can build on it but not sell it partially). Then someday if we find property we can afford we could move the home. My parents are not invasive at all. Then the boys would have a huge peice of land to play on.

I dont know how dh will feel. I plan to talk to him about it tonite. Id NEVER consider it with his mom because shes crazy and would constantly be just showing up uninvited. But my family isnt like that.

wwyd?

Update:

I talked to dh about it, hes on board also. We are first going to look into the cost and see what is affordable. In the mean time my parents are finding out what is allowed. My bffs parents are selling a 3bedroom trailer less then a year old way cheaper then we can find else where so maybe everything will fall into place! But we will do what is most cost efficent and agreeable to both of us. :-)
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nanasue31204
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM
We are facing a similar situation right now. My husband has been out of work for over 2 months now due to a back injury. We are loosing our home and have to move in with my aunt. She has enough land to deed us a portion so we could either place a trailer or build a home but we aren't sure if we want to live so close to her. We are going to wait and see how it is living temporarily with her and look at other properties first before making any decisions. I like the idea because we are struggling now and we would have a better chance of getting back on our feet with not having to pay a huge mortgage but I'm not sure if she would give us our privacy. I hate our situation and can't wait until our life gets back on track.
deadlights86
by Emily on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM
4 moms liked this
If I had the chance like that I would jump on it in a heartbeat.
Hadadat
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I'd take that chance too. Talk with your DH and see what he says and if he has any concerns.

anotherandree
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Absolutely.  Are you afraid of offending his mother?  Is that what the problem would be?  Because I see the issue as purely logistical and you guys need a safe and economical place to live and this would be it.  You can purchase a trailer outright (or a moduler home) for not much money, especially if your credit is good.  The difficult part is finding land to put it on, but that is taken care of!  Surely, his mother would have to see that.

ashbash1616
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM
I am so sorry things are rough for you right now. :-( And I hope things improve asap for you!

I know my family will give us privacy. Im just not sure how dh would feel about living on their property... He already works with my dad (so commute would be easy). Their property is closer to his moms then where we currently live.

I think in both your situation and mine it could help us get on our feet and get ahead.

Good luck!

Quoting nanasue31204:

We are facing a similar situation right now. My husband has been out of work for over 2 months now due to a back injury. We are loosing our home and have to move in with my aunt. She has enough land to deed us a portion so we could either place a trailer or build a home but we aren't sure if we want to live so close to her. We are going to wait and see how it is living temporarily with her and look at other properties first before making any decisions. I like the idea because we are struggling now and we would have a better chance of getting back on our feet with not having to pay a huge mortgage but I'm not sure if she would give us our privacy. I hate our situation and can't wait until our life gets back on track.

ashbash1616
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I know I am so anxious I want him to get home so we can talk!

Quoting Hadadat:

I'd take that chance too. Talk with your DH and see what he says and if he has any concerns.

furbabymum
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I'd move.

OHgirlinCA
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I'd do it....

ashbash1616
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Yea I see his mom flipping out because.there is a trailer RIGHT next to her in the trailer park and I said no. To get an idea of how she is picture Marie from Everybody loves Ray and multiply it by 100. She takes everything personal and acts like a child if she doesnt agree with a decision.

Im unsure of how dh will feel about it also. I wish hed get home from work already so we can talk.

Quoting anotherandree:

Absolutely.  Are you afraid of offending his mother?  Is that what the problem would be?  Because I see the issue as purely logistical and you guys need a safe and economical place to live and this would be it.  You can purchase a trailer outright (or a moduler home) for not much money, especially if your credit is good.  The difficult part is finding land to put it on, but that is taken care of!  Surely, his mother would have to see that.

Hadadat
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM

GL and check back after! I know I'd love to hear what you decided!

Quoting ashbash1616:

I know I am so anxious I want him to get home so we can talk!

Quoting Hadadat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)