Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Do you and dh have the same religious views? How do you raise your kids?

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM
  • 60 Replies

My dh and I are close on our views although he is more of an atheist and I'm more of an agnostic.  We encourage our kids to explore religion on their own and come to their own opinions on it, however our two older kids are leaning more towards atheism.  How do you treat religion in your family?

by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm an athiest, my husband believes but doesn't go to church or practice, or belong to any denomination. When I mentioned that I don't believe to him a few weeks ago he was HORRIFIED and told me never to say that again. 

We don't discuss religion in our house, my daughter has asked a few times about church and religion and I tell her that she can believe what she wants and can go down whatever path she chooses in that regard. 

Fayanne
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM

SO and I are pretty much on the same page religiously, but we don't have any kids we are raising together

beeky
by Alexandra on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

We're both atheists. 

Our children have been educated but not indoctrinated.   They were free to explore religion on their own.  They are 16 and almost 21 and are both atheists

MMerrill
by Melissa on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:09 AM

We have the same views/beliefs.  For me personally, I couldn't be with someone who didn't believe what I did, because it plays such an important and huge role in my life and the way I want to raise my family.  Our son/future children will be taught and will practice what we believe until they are old enough to decide on their own!

MIA0223
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
We are both Muslim. Raising the kids Muslim.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Todd and I were both raised Catholic, but Todd's family only went to church when  he was really little and then stopped and my parents were really strictly religious and went to church a lot and made me go to sunday school and forced me against my will to go to catholic school from 4th-6th grade and I hated it.

Todd and I pretty similar more than not.. neither of  us are catholic, we found a nondenominational church we go to for an hour on sunday that just sings 4 modern christian contemporary songs and one sermon and a prayer and then we leave except sometimes we do charitable stuff thru them too.

We are both basically Christians but Todd is more traditional and is more about the bible than I am. (I mostly only pay attention to the  bible on the parts about Jesus directly.. not too much of the rest). I think there are some beautiful truths and wisdoms and good life principles in LOTS of different faithpaths both christian and NON christian and including no religion like athiesm etc and I am also a little new age, I am very open minded and hate any judgementalness from any religion or lack there of against one another. There is no one religion that fits me 100%.. I am very very spiritual though and also crazy love angels.

We raised our kids to know what Todd and I believe but explained that is what WE believe and that many other people believe many other things and we encouraged them to search for what resonates as truth within their own selves and to follow their own path and to be open and respectful of everyone elses beliefs at the same time and that most importantly to be GOOD people who make a positive difference in the world however they feel called to do in big ways or small regardless of their religious  views.. They ALL did that.. they are all amazingly wonderful exceptional people I am proud of and that do very good things for others ... they are all young adults now on their own

Son Jesse 26 1/2 believes a lot like I do..although spirituality is not a major part of his life he does a lot of good things for others though too.

Daughter Brittany almost 25 is an athiest but has karma tattooed on her wrist and does a lot of good things too and she  says "too many christians I've seen do good things so they'll go to heaven or not go to hell but I am a good person bc I really care and just want to be good not for any other reason or to impress a god." Even though  I believe in God I agree with her on that point and am proud of the person she is. She is very philosophical and does believe in some kind of afterlife just not necessarily with a god in it. Even though she doesnt believe in God she is intrigued by people's religions and reads about them.

Daughter Michae'la 21 1/2 is an athiest and thinks that what other people think of as God or angels or such are probably actually aliens and is very interested in aliens but kind of afraid of them at the same time. Michae'la is an exceptionally good person who does lots of good for others too

Daughter Amanda 20 is a christian basically in a way I guess, She was more of an agnostic but when she met her live in boyfriend John back in her mid teens.. he was raised in a Santeria family (his family is from Cuba) and he believes very strongly in that religion so she is not that either but she has so much respect for him and his beliefs that it made her more spiritual too in a similar way.

Son Elijah 18 1/2 is an agnostic/athiest some where in  between or something like that....he is an awesome kind caring helpful person to others.

YVONNE

moniagee
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM
We're both Christian and raising our children as Christians
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anfisasmommy
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I was raised Christian my husband is old believer Russian orthodox. I converted over, the kids are being raised his way, they go to normal school and you can tell the differene between our religion and the others so I'm sure the kids understand everyone believes different. At least my 6 year old does. The others may be to young still to notice.
shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM
I'm agnostic, he's an atheist. We don't talk much about religion in our house. The girls can learn on their own when they are older.
Sunshine257
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Different beliefs.. I won't go into our beliefs but I will say I won't push my beliefs on my son. I hope my dh doesn't either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN