Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Question for you SAHMs??

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM
  • 72 Replies

Right now both me and DF work but a big goal for us after we get married in January is to get me to be a stay at home mom. I would absolutely love this and DF agrees it would be a good thing. So for you couples that only have one income. About how much a month do you need to make something like this work? And we are willing to coupon and not have all the pleasures because having me home with our kids is more important. Thanks ladies!

** I live in Florida***

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xoxRachelxox
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM
3 moms liked this

It all depends on where you live, what he makes and how expensive things are in your area. 

I live in MA and everything is expensive here. My husband makes good money but we still have to manage our spending and cut corners where we can.

We make our own bread, pasta, sauce, laundry detergent, hand soap and cleaning supplies. That helps a lot. 

LilliesValley
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Everyone's amount is different but it's about wants verses needs. Try now to live on his income and bank yours. That with the holidays should give you a good idea if you will be able to afford it. We did it for three on 30k and now have 4 on about 35k.
OliviaW.
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM
We live in Nebraska and dh makes fairly good money. We don't do a bunch of going out or extras. We don't have cable because even when we had it we never used it.
I do alot of baking and cooking from scratch. Sometimes there's to much money at the end of the money but we're never hurting.
LilliesValley
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this
This is important too. I coupon, check ads for price match, have ac higher, heat lower, make meals at home with plenty for leftovers, make my oen detergent, etc.

Quoting xoxRachelxox:

It all depends on where you live, what he makes and how expensive things are in your area. 

I live in MA and everything is expensive here. My husband makes good money but we still have to manage our spending and cut corners where we can.

We make our own bread, pasta, sauce, laundry detergent, hand soap and cleaning supplies. That helps a lot. 

bmw29
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Add up all your bills plus gas, groceries and anything else you need plus extra for the just in case.
Kaylahk
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I am used to from shopping with my mom to really live off of the buy one get one free stuff and I cook so Im not worried about that. Does making your own soaps and stuff really save a lot? I have been interested but havent been able to try because ive been living with my parents so I cant really do that since my mom doesnt. I am very interested in making all my own but I know that I cant if I work and go to school because of the lack of extra time but if I do stay home I would love to do all this. Thanks!

Quoting LilliesValley:

This is important too. I coupon, check ads for price match, have ac higher, heat lower, make meals at home with plenty for leftovers, make my oen detergent, etc.

Quoting xoxRachelxox:

Kaylahk
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Is that income annually or monthly? We try to rely on him more than me but living seperate still doesnt make it easy. I barely make 600 a month from my job so im not a big help anyways.

Quoting LilliesValley:

Everyone's amount is different but it's about wants verses needs. Try now to live on his income and bank yours. That with the holidays should give you a good idea if you will be able to afford it. We did it for three on 30k and now have 4 on about 35k.

JRSMOM0621
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Depends on the cost of living where you live. What my husband and I done is try paying all of the bills just his pay check to see if it is doable. Good luck!!

Mommy to one angel, 1 crazy toddler and 1 on the way!!
kbutton24
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Df brings home $1600/mo after taxes. It isn't much, but we make it work and are in the process of looking at houses. I have been able to cut our expenses literally in half by budgeting so we're able to save.
AlannaMaria
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM
3 moms liked this
You can make it work. Add up all your bills, and set a budget and be frugal. Good luck!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN