Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did this really happen to me?

As of today I am once again a free woman. I was served today by my soon to be exhusband, and on top of that he cleared out our bank account, took all the money I have saved for our son's birthday and Christmas. I have a part time job but it's not enough to survive off of, and he said if I want child support I'll have to fight him for it. Looks like this divorce will end ugly. I had the pleasure of canceling our son's birthday party on 2 weeks because now I don't have the money to pay for.
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Replies (31-34):
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:19 AM

 This is good advice and if  you cant afford a lawyer, then find your local legal aid office and make an appt to see if you qualify for a free/pro bono attorney who will help you from beginning to end with entire thing. I qualified for one when I divorced my ex and it was pricelessly helpful and all free. Good luck

Quoting Lorena:

I would file a counter and go after him for spousal and child support. I would also get a print out that shows what was in the account, when it was taken out, and how much was taken out. So you have it for proof.
I am so sorry you are dealing with this.



by Trica on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:34 AM
That sounds so crazy! Sorry that happened! Is your son his too? Why would he leave his sound without a birthday party? Even is he is a "SS?" Still to put a child through that is unfair. A divorce doesn't mean no birthdays.
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:31 AM


Quoting Evansmommy1130:

I live in Florida, I'm going to the child support enforcement agency on Tuesday but from what my sister has dealt with it's not going to be easy.

Quoting Monsita:


I hope you are in a State where justice can be done....

Here in Nevada, My best friend husband took all 25 thousand dollars which was in their savings, in his way out of the marriage...

He also closed the checking account which WAS IN BOTH OF THEIR NAMES.....

Though she got evidence of him leaving her with nothing, the court did not make him give her some money....she was lucky enough to get child support whithout alimony money after 15 years of marriage...

I am really hoping you are in a State where justice is done!!

Best of luck!


Quoting Fayanne:

what state are you in?

He won't get away with not paying support, and he'll likely have to pay back half of what he took from the accounts.

horrible way to get the news. Hold your head up and good luck. It will get better



Florida is NOT a community property state. They use "equitable distribution" when dividing marital assets.

Equitable distribution is different from community property law in that the financial situation of each spouse determines what percentage of the couple's property each one receives. This means that it's rare that the marital property is divided on a 50/50 basis. Some of the variables that the Court will look at when determining how much each spouse will receive include: the length of the marriage, each spouse's income, and who will have custody of the children after the divorce is final.

by Emily on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Wow I'm so sorry. I hope you filed for child support today. I think you can do that through your welfare office.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)