Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Are you friends with your ex?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 23 Replies

7 Reasons You Should Stay Friends With Your Ex

by Ericka Sóuter

holding handsWhen it comes to breakups, I have always been a firm believer in severing all ties. Why keep in contact when you hated him enough to end the relationship? But my friends tell me I have it all wrong. Apparently, there are some really good reasons for keeping your ex in your life. Take a look:

1. The kids: A cordial relationship with each other can only help the kids. If you can’t live together, you can still have a form of stability for their sake.
  2. Peace of mind: You don’t have to Facebook stalk him to find out what’s going on in his life. An occasional phone call and you find out all you want to know.
  3. Leaves the door open: Sometimes you just need to mature a little bit. Once you do, you could end up being perfect for each other.
  4. Joint gym membership: You signed up together and should stay buddies at least until the contract ends.
  5. An occasional quickie: This won't work for everyone, but if you parted amicably and neither of you has moved on, why not be friends with benefits when you get lonely.
  6. He's your best friend: There are certain things you can talk to him about that even your best friend doesn't know. 
  7. Your family loves him: It's hard to completely break that connection when he is so much a part of your life. You may also feel close to his family.

What are other good reasons to stay friends with an ex?

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bamamommy2009
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM

sometimes you are the only one he'll listen too when he's being ridiculous

lashea727
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM
IM friends with my ex baby daddy cause we have a son together. We talk about our son and he goes see his son every 2 weeks.
lemleyfam13
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM
sort of friends i guess hes a loser but we have our son and there is no way i want my son thinking he is an accident or we hate eachother but honestly he is such a lame dad i wish he would just stay out of it instead of constantly dissapointing our son i hate seeing my sons face after being hurt by his unreliable father i always just move on about our day to distract him from the thought of it :(
Lorena
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Dh and I stayed friends after we broke up. Our reasons were because of the kids and we were friends before so why not after. What we did not realize was keeping that door open was the best thing for us. We did not plan it, but we both had a lot of growing up to do. We both needed to experience some life before we realized what we had.
Now with ex boyfriends yes I am friends with a couple of them. We talk sometimes but never hang out alone. But my xh we can not get along if someone was paying us to.
Jessiejem
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I do not have any children with ex's , I am Facebook friends with most of them , and talk to one on occasion .

There is only one I would not talk to or even acknowledge his existence

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Nope, not friends with any of my exes....but before DH no relationship made it past 3 months and my parents disliked every guy I dated. lol

_MissMissfit_
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

This is one of the stupidest lists I've ever seen. 

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Hells no!!

melly_v88
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I am friends with all of my exes except one, and aside from the two that have since passed away. I'm also friends with 4 of HIS exes.

Jellybean1123
by Jocelyn on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:13 PM

There is only one ex I still talk to and I only do it for our kids. I put on a smile when I have to see him and I won't talk negatively about him or allow anyone else to around the kids, but honestly I can't stand him. It was a very emotionally and verbally abusive relationship. I've tried to be friends for the sake of the kids, but he just has to talk down to me all the time. The man certainly knows how to make me feel absolutely worthless and ignorant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN