Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

She said "No" to his proposal, should she pay him back for everything?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM
  • 69 Replies

I saw this article, I think in Huffington Post, about a man who, after having his proposal rejected, issued his ex-girlfriend a bill for over $200,000 for everything he spent on her during their 4yr relationship.

If you turn down a proposal, should you have to pay for dates and other things during the relationship?

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BonitaM
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM
10 moms liked this

lol  Whatever he spent on his girlfriend during their courtship was a gift or token of love unless she stated at the time that she was going to pay him back for it.  He's just upset because she rejected his proposal.  I doubt he would have asked her to pay him back had she said yes.  She doesn't owe him a thing and now I can see why she turned him down too.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM

WTH?? lol

nursesharon
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM

No!  That is ridiculous!

leanntx
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Umm...no. No wonder she turned him down.
LAHnTAH0812
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM
This.

Quoting BonitaM:

lol  Whatever he spent on his girlfriend during their courtship was a gift or token of love unless she stated at the time that she was going to pay him back for it.  He's just upset because she rejected his proposal.  I doubt he would have asked her to pay him back had she said yes.  She doesn't owe him a thing and now I can see why she turned him down too.

Jellybean1123
by Jocelyn on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow... No wonder she rejected him. These things drive me crazy... if you're in a relationship and buy someone a gift, then break up later, you don't get it back. Unless of course the other person decides they want to give it back to you. 

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

no!  he chose to do those things for her, essentailly if he were to try to take her to court, they would declare it a gift.

KenneMaw
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM

No. That is ridiculous!

OliviaW.
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM

No she shouldn't. If you're in a relationship with someone and you give them something it's a gift. Now if she accepted and then later broke it off she should return the ring.

justahousewife
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

That's no different than giving someone money and then 4yrs down the road calling it a loan. It wasn't a loan unless it was agreed upon at the very beginning. If she agreed, yes, in 4yrs I'll marry you in return for your financial help than yes she should pay it back. But I seriously doubt she agreed to that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)