Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any LPN's in here? (RN's even)

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:12 PM
  • 10 Replies

Thinking about becoming an LPN and I'm interested in knowing a little about it.  Mostly want to know if the work is like what a CNA does, because I really don't want to do ALL the dirty work.  I am also curious if the salary is decent.

I also heard they were doing away with them these days thought... however in my area I've found a lot of places looking for them so I'm not sure what to think?

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TommyAbby
by Melissa on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

They are phasing them out.. or just moving them to nursing homes.. If you can, go on for your RN.

MMerrill
by Melissa on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Many places are but many other places are not... there are a ton of LPN jobs available where I live.  I made it a point to check that out and ask some of my nurse friends, because I would hate to waste my time in school and not be able to find a job!

Quoting TommyAbby:

They are phasing them out.. or just moving them to nursing homes.. If you can, go on for your RN.

wedding countdown

TommyAbby
by Melissa on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:24 PM

And what kind of jobs are these? Nursing home? Travel nursing? Home care?? 

Or actual hospital settings?

plus the pay...at least here, Medical Assistants start at $1 lower than LPN's fresh out of school. RN's make way more per hour. 

So it's do you want to do a quick 9 month program for positions that will more than likely be phased out in the next 5-6 yrs with crappy pay to begin with and heaven forbid you have to/want to move out of state, finding a job will be horrible.

OR

You spend the money now on a degree that has WAY more stability, job offers, MONEY, and you can take anywhere without worry?? 

Quoting MMerrill:

Many places are but many other places are not... there are a ton of LPN jobs available where I live.  I made it a point to check that out and ask some of my nurse friends, because I would hate to waste my time in school and not be able to find a job!

Quoting TommyAbby:

MMerrill
by Melissa on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Brain Centers, Home Care, Pediatric offices, Hospitals, OB/GYN offices are all hiring LPN's in my area.

I do know the brain center in my area starts out at $18 an hour which is pretty decent for only going to school for 9 months.  I can't commit to any longer amount of schooling or else I would love to be an RN, but I can't.

Quoting TommyAbby:

plus the pay...at least here, Medical Assistants start at $1 lower than LPN's fresh out of school. RN's make way more per hour. 

So it's do you want to do a quick 9 month program for positions that will more than likely be phased out in the next 5-6 yrs with crappy pay to begin with and heaven forbid you have to/want to move out of state, finding a job will be horrible.

OR

You spend the money now on a degree that has WAY more stability, job offers, MONEY, and you can take anywhere without worry?? 

Quoting MMerrill:

Quoting TommyAbby:

wedding countdown

TommyAbby
by Melissa on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Quoting MMerrill:

Brain Centers, Home Care, Pediatric offices, Hospitals, OB/GYN offices are all hiring LPN's in my area.

I do know the brain center in my area starts out at $18 an hour which is pretty decent for only going to school for 9 months.  I can't commit to any longer amount of schooling or else I would love to be an RN, but I can't. <<<< Then go for your LPN, but when you can, get your RN!!! And $18 is the starting LPN pay here also. But my hubby is an RN and makes $40... so please try to get that better degree!!! And good luck :) 

Quoting TommyAbby:

OR

Quoting MMerrill:

Quoting TommyAbby:

MMerrill
by Melissa on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Thanks!  My husband works out of town/state and we have a 14 month old so I need quick schooling that makes decent money, so my husband can work closer to home (since he will be taking a pay cut) and I need something flexible since I have a baby to take care of!  It's a sticky situation, but hopefully in the future I can go back to school and become an RN.

In my state they won't even let you work at the hospital without a BSN and I just don't have the time for that unfortunately :/

Quoting TommyAbby:

Quoting MMerrill:

I do know the brain center in my area starts out at $18 an hour which is pretty decent for only going to school for 9 months.  I can't commit to any longer amount of schooling or else I would love to be an RN, but I can't. <<<< Then go for your LPN, but when you can, get your RN!!! And $18 is the starting LPN pay here also. But my hubby is an RN and makes $40... so please try to get that better degree!!! And good luck :) 

Quoting TommyAbby:

OR

Quoting MMerrill:

Quoting TommyAbby:

wedding countdown

TommyAbby
by Melissa on Jan. 2, 2014 at 7:29 AM

Awe.. You do what you can for now!! Congrats on the little one :) : ) 

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jan. 2, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Beware. There are two reasons you are hearing that LPN's are being phased out. One has to do with the ACA, and it's specific mandates for who can and can't do what, and what they will and will not pay for. The literature in the law is very specific. LPN's don't fit the bill. This will impact people mostly 1 year from now. You may see a ton of jobs now, they are likely temporary. The ACA is mandating who doctors in private offices can have as staff. 

The other is the fact that in 2015 licensure laws are changing for all medical professions, big time. All new x-ray techs will be required to have a bachelors degree or higher, which is a HUGE change from most of our traditional 2-year, community college programs. 

Because medical certificate programs are really, in the end, just out to get your money, they won't tell you this before you sign up and hand them over a check, so be careful.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 7:43 AM

If all you can do it is you LPN, then do that now and then look into an LPN to RN program, then an RN to BSN program. In the long run it'll be the best for your.

Here where I live all the Nursing positions say RN required, BSN preffered.

”Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age.” - Dr. Seuss. 

Shmil055
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:28 PM
I'm an LPN, I'm in an RN bridge program now. I love it, I've never had a hard time finding a job, LPN school was the best thing I ever did. For the last 3 years its worked out well for me. RNs definitely have more opportunities but where I live the pay gap is only about $5-7 an hour. Mostly I'm just going back to school for more opportunities as a nurse. I'm also an EMT and they're making some big changes to my licensure for that but they're also making it convenient to meet requirements for the new licensure criteria. If you decide to go good luck!!! School with kids is hard, my son is 6 mos but it will be worth it ;)

Quoting MMerrill:

Thinking about becoming an LPN and I'm interested in knowing a little about it.  Mostly want to know if the work is like what a CNA does, because I really don't want to do ALL the dirty work.  I am also curious if the salary is decent.

I also heard they were doing away with them these days thought... however in my area I've found a lot of places looking for them so I'm not sure what to think?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)