Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

whats the point in getting married?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:39 AM
  • 110 Replies
I wanna know what you think?
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:28 AM
6 moms liked this
Starting a life,sharing a home. *wait for it* I know a lot of people do this without a ring,but most don't start a life with someone until they say "I do!"
Love,spending the rest of your life with someone. Unromantic part stability, insurance, etc.
sspaschal2427
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:37 AM
5 moms liked this
I love being with my best friend and soul mate and now he's papered lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole2884
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:54 AM
2 moms liked this
I think its a personal choice kinda like having kids its not for everyone
An I respect people who declare that neither are for them

I wanted to marry my husband before him I hadn't given it much thought. However when I fell in love with him I wanted that commitment. It is different than say just being bf/gf for the rest of your life

Been together 8 years this march
Married for 3.5 of those 8 an we still hold hands and do cute little surprises for each other
dixiegurl223626
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 3:00 AM
7 moms liked this
I know you(in general) can have a great relationship without the marriage papers, but with marriage you are next of kin to make important decisions in serious situations. If something happens to me or my spouse, I find comfort in knowing we will be the best person to make the medical decision for each other if needed and will legally be able to do so. Also, for insurance benefits. My husband can get insurance from my job. We also share a last name and with our child too. But with everyone, it's a personal decision to make.
committed4ever
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:22 AM
7 moms liked this

What's the point in shacking up?

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:25 AM
I wanted to be married and so did my boyfriend. So we got engaged and then married two months later. We also wanted to be married before we started ttc, even though Neither of us were virgins and I already had a child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:39 AM
3 moms liked this
The question should be,what is the point in an open marriage? That's what I'd like to know.
Fayanne
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:30 AM
4 moms liked this

because I like that commitment made to each other before family and God

TommyAbby
by Melissa on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this

What's going to happen once your are both old and medical decisions need to be made? 

What happens if something happens to you and your children are left without a mother? The state would get the kids and then he would have to fight for your other two unless their father/s would step up and take care of them.

You get into an accident tomorrow, he wouldn't be able to do a darn thing about your health care decisions.

chickadees
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I think peoples hearts are in the right place when they marry, but they don't necessarily stay there.  When you take your vows...when you say for better or worse...worse will come, trust me.  It's how both people deal with it. I've been married twice, the first time was for a very short time and we were young, he was controlling (but I knew no different) and he eventually changed into someone I just didn't like or want to be around.  The second time is better, but our relationship is inconsistant.  The way dh treats me changes from week to week and we just don't have the closeness we once had.  Cuddling is almost non existent unless I initiate it.  When he touches me it's pretty clear what he wants.   I miss the way things used to be, but I'm so tired of begging for every bit of affection I need or want from him in our relationship.  It's too bad too because I have so much more to give, but I just can't have the relationship be one sided any longer.  He will take and take and then when I remind him of the fact that he takes and never gives it causes a huge fight that can last weeks.  I end up feeling hopeless and depressed, who am I kidding, I feel like that most of the time.  I also have major trust issues with him, I won't go into detail, but there are have been some things that have happened to make me question his fidelity.  I have no proof, or I wouldn't be here.  So I have hope I guess, I have to, that some day things will get better.   Wow, this turned into a vent, sorry!  To answer your question...I guess I just don't know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN