Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

The dress and all the superstitions!

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:40 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hello!! Newly engaged and figured I would share this little story...

Went shopping for the dress. Tried on 3 and the 3rd was "the one". There had been a girl in the dressing area beside me that had been there long before I had gotten there and had tried on atleast 20 different dresses from what I could tell. She wasn't having a great time and neither was who I assume to be her mother which in turn meant the salesperson wasn't feeling it either. Our side however we joked, awwed, took pictures, and had a great time. I rang the bell showing I had found "the dress" and everyone clapped and cheered. While finishing up sizing paperwork and payment paperwork (maaaybe 10 minutes later) the girl next to me calls out that she had found her dress-- THE SAME DRESS. We all laughed at the coincidence and asked when her wedding was. She said November. Ok.. well what is the likelyhood it's on the same exact day?? "On the 8th".......... you've got to be kidding. IT'S THE SAME DAY. Now I'm trying hard not to freak out in my head because I am one of those people who has a strong belief in fate and everything happening for a reason. Would love to get reassurance that this isn't a negetive sign of things to come. I keep telling myself nothing about me is traditional so don't let it bother you but isn't helping.

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Chalk it up to coincidence.  It's probably just your nerves messing with you.  Congrats on your upcoming wedding!!  :)

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

...............................................You realize if you didn't get your dress custom ordered for you there will be a million other brides wearing it.

If this is stressing you out you're in for one hell of a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FutureCooper118
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I'm not "stressing" per say.. I knew going to a major bridal company meant someone somewhere was going to have my same dress.. but aside from this one person everyone else had a wedding in the summerish time. The odds of running into someone having the same exact wedding date and then picking the same dress is pretty nerve racking and coincidental. 

Quoting furbabymum:

...............................................You realize if you didn't get your dress custom ordered for you there will be a million other brides wearing it.

mrsfitz05
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Ehh if she seemed nice enough, I probably would have exchanged emails or cell numbers to chat since you will be experiencing the same wedding planning crazies. I can't imagine what could be negative about this.
IandLoveandYou
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:47 PM
2 moms liked this
Meh, there are only so many Saturdays in November.

Quoting FutureCooper118:

I'm not "stressing" per say.. I knew going to a major bridal company meant someone somewhere was going to have my same dress.. but aside from this one person everyone else had a wedding in the summerish time. The odds of running into someone having the same exact wedding date and then picking the same dress is pretty nerve racking and coincidental. 

Quoting furbabymum:

rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:50 PM

There are only so many dresses, and there are only so many weekends each year. If you're there looking for a dress, the likelihood of another woman being there for the same wedding date is VERY high, and there really are only a handful of dresses unless you're at a place like Kleinfeld.

Quoting FutureCooper118:

Quoting furbabymum:

sweetiebell
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:11 PM
2 moms liked this

i would say thats just a weird coincindence and think nothing else of it.

when the wedding jitters go away it will be a funny story to tell! something bad happens at every wedding but it just becomes part of the story. a kid broke their leg at mine.

FutureCooper118
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM

a story for sure, I guess. OH GOODNESS! A broken leg!? Now that's a story!

Quoting sweetiebell:

i would say thats just a weird coincindence and think nothing else of it.

when the wedding jitters go away it will be a funny story to tell! something bad happens at every wedding but it just becomes part of the story. a kid broke their leg at mine.

Getting Hitched In November!!

groombride

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont think it means a single thing .. the MOST it might mean IF  she saw the dress when you picked it is that she admires your taste and copying is the sincerest form of flattery. If she didnt know what dress you picked until after she picked hers, it still means absolutely NOTHING. I honestly don't even think its that big of a deal or a coincidence for same reason other ladies said. I would  think nothing of it at all. 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

Hottmomma607
OMG!!! Jax is gonna go off the deep end!! Even deeper! lol
Today at 11:47 AM
by Trica on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes this! I wouldn't even think any of it?
Unless they know the same people, use same,venue? LOL

Quoting earthangel1967:

I dont think it means a single thing .. the MOST it might mean IF  she saw the dress when you picked it is that she admires your taste and copying is the sincerest form of flattery. If she didnt know what dress you picked until after she picked hers, it still means absolutely NOTHING. I honestly don't even think its that big of a deal or a coincidence for same reason other ladies said. I would  think nothing of it at all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)