Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

It's tax time - is he in charge of how you spend your refund, or are you?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:43 PM
  • 287 Replies

We filed our taxes and our refund, which is significant this year due to student loan interest, is due in a week or so. I think we should pay off some bills, put some in savings, and use a small amount to do something fun like see a movie. He thinks we should play with most of it and just pay off one thing, skipping the savings. He also thinks that, because he earns more than I do, he should have the most say over how we spend the money. Most everyone I know discusses it together and spends the money together, but I do have some friends who let the major breadwinner make the decision.

So which is it in your house? Does your SO decide how to spend your refund if you get one or do you? Or do you decide together?

♥ ♥   I love to read. ♥ ♥

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamavaness
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:46 PM
2 moms liked this
We decide together. This year we are buying a new refrigerator and saving the rest.
korra2013
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:46 PM
I'm always in control of the money. Despite the problems we had, money was one thing we never fought about. He was always comfortable giving me that responsibility. We did however do at least one fun thing
MrsHayward1
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:51 PM
4 moms liked this

I dont have this problem

jett286
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:55 PM

refund?  What is that?  Seems foreign to me... if we do get a refund it's usually a small amount and we decide together what we're going to do....same when he gets a bonus...we both KNOW what is needed and that usually gets done first.

melly_v88
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:55 PM
We pick out things to save for or spend. Done goes into our vacation fund, some set back got Christmas, save some for upcoming bills and we keep about $1000 for shopping/date nights.
preacherskid
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

We decide together, same as with any other financial decision.  I am the breadwinner and I would never tell DH that he had less say in financials just because I earn money and all he gets is SSD.

nicoal4
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:59 PM
5 moms liked this

Well I am a sahm and we don't get a refund but we do get large monthly paychecks. And my husband doesn't spend money without talking to me about it. When my family gave us money from a death in the family I asked what he wanted to do with it. I think that is sad that only one person feels they have a right to say what happens. I am really grateful my husband doesn't make me feel like that. Sorry.

pmsforlife
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
We were gonna blow a lot of it, but I found out I'm pregnant again so we are saving for Dr. visits, baby stuff, Christmas, a bigger car.
deadlights86
by Emily on Feb. 4, 2014 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Decide together. We are going to fix up my car and maybe get a used stove and dishwasher.
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 3:01 PM
2 moms liked this
We discuss everything but we usually have the same idea anyway with all money decisions.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN