Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Are Your Family's Worst Chore Fails That Drive You Nuts?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:00 PM
  • 23 Replies

frustratedsweepingwashing dishesdrowning in laundrybanging head into wall

I  read this  article I thought was funny and that a lot of us could probably relate to...

What are YOUR family's worst cleaning/chore fails that drive you nuts?

Drip Dry

The dishes in the rack have dried, but rather than putting them away in the cupboard, your beloved places freshly washed plates on top of them, wetting them all over again.

Clothes Call

Apparently the rest of your family seems to wonder why they should bother to put dirty clothes in the hamper, when the floor next to it will do just fine.

Wipe Out

It's nice when someone else wipes down the countertops—except when they just wipe around the toaster and coffee maker, and then sweep the crumbs straight onto the floor. Oh, yes, it happens.

It's a Wash

Thank you, dear family, for finally doing the laundry. Unfortunately, leaving it in the machine for a couple of days to stew defeats the purpose. Guess who gets to start that second, smelly wash?

Hang Ups

So maybe your family has figured out how to transfer that wet load into the dryer—lucky you! But the work's not done yet: Apparently your family thinks it's perfectly acceptable to use the dryer as a dresser, just pulling clothes out as they need them, rather than actually folding and putting them away

Toilet Training

Do you have that family member who pulls out a new roll of toilet paper but rather than put it in the holder, they just sit it on top of the empty roll?

Food for Thought

Putting away the groceries sounds relatively hard to mess up, but why must they push the older food to the back of the fridge to make room for the new? It's all fun and games until someone finds a rotting cucumber in the crisper.

Doggone It!

While we appreciate someone else letting the family pup outside to relieve himself in the yard, that's only part of the job. Someone needs to pick up Fido's business … it doesn't miraculously disappear

Dish It Out

It's great that someone else pitched in and brought all the glasses, mugs and plates to the dishwasher. Next time, maybe they could put them in the dishwasher, rather than just stacking them on the counter?

Trash Talk

We're all for using every bit of plastic bag, but if one keeps pushing down the trash into the can, it creates a spectacular mess when we try to pull it out of the canister.

Totally Underwhelmed

A quick lesson in vacuuming the carpet: Just doing the most-trafficked areas doesn't count—you have to get to the corners of the room and under the furniture.

View Full Size Image YVONNE

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
earthangel1967
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM

It's super easy with just me and Todd. he always picks up after himself too 
BUT

Some that made me nutsy cuckoo when the 5 kids were still at home were:

1. When the kids were younger I would sort and fold their clothes and put them in a basket and all they had  to do was put them in the  right  drawers, just take a couple of minutes.. half the time I would go check on it later while tucking them in or such and they shoved it all in a corner of the closet or under the bed. WHY is putting in drawer SO HARD!? lol

2. At one point all 5 teens were complaining about doing dishes for 7 people on their nights so asked if each person could just wash, dry and put away their own. I said sure we can try that Didn't last too long because anytime a cup or bowl or pan turned up mysteriously in sink.. NO  BODYYYYY used it!

3. The toilet paper thing.. most of the kids put it on top the old roll instead of changing or just as bad if not worse, would put it on but backwards which makes me insane and so I'd have to take it off to change it around right direction lol

4. I SWEAR I was the only person other than Todd  in a household of 7 all teens and up who would  wipe down the shower and Todd was only one to clean long hair out of drains from 4 females and thick mops from 2 guys. Gross, poor Todd.

5. We would get frustrated because we'd walk into kitchen and find the  trash  literally overflowing. We'd make them all come into kitchen to find out which crazy lazy person was the last one to put yet another overflowing item precariously balanced  on top instead of taking it out? Noboddyyyyyy ever did it! lol

MethuenMom
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

1.  The chew and screw.  I'm so glad that they cook for themselves at times but do they really need to leave the carton of eggs out.  Do they need to leave a dirty knife on the counter.  The pan goes in the sink you know!

2.  The invisible laundry.  I've washed, dried, folded and put the laundry on the bed.  I'm done right?  How come the next day there is another 2 loads to wash?  How is that possible!

3.  The science experiment.  I don't have a strict rule about eating at the kitchen table, but when dishes go missing I get that sick feeling in my stomach because I dread the words that are about to come out of my mouth 'Stop what you're doing and bring every dish down here now'! 

4.  The mutant animal.  The kids don't need a bunny because for some reason I could sweep, vacuum and dust and still find dust bunnies everywhere.  Apparently I am the only one that can see them because no one ever mentions that fuzzy thing in the corner that grows by the minute.

LadyBast
by Brenda on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

All of the above..

Not adding dirty dishes to the dishwasher what is so hard, open it and put it in I hate this one the worst I think..

Everyone gets laundry where it goes, we all do that together but cooking I do most all of it and then I get stuck cleaning up, this is going to stop too!

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm the only one who does any of these chores but I admit at one time or another I have committed all of these crimes.  Today is one of them as my house is a disaster as I am on a baking frenzy I'll make up for it tomorrow or Friday. 

DH used to do his own laundry (work clothes) and thought he'd do me a favor and top off the load with some of my clothes.  Well, my favorite white jeans with his oil infused work clothes was not a good match; so now I do all of the laundry. lol 

committed4ever
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
My favorite from the hubs (who is so proud that he has learned to cook ONE thing: cheese and eggs): "I wasn't sure if you wanted me to wash the pan or put it in the dishwasher so I just left it on the stove."
earthangel1967
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:43 PM

HAHA love the funny creative names you came up for them too. 

And the  damn missing dishes!!! oh my gosh how could I have forgotten that one.. I never found any dishes from any of the 3 girls in their rooms or anything their whole lives.. but BOTH boys, were horrible. they werent even suppossed to eat in their rooms so certainly not have dishes in there but I would find a stack of them with the food dried hard on them GRRRRR of course I made THEM wash them too. Have fun getting the cement off!

Even worse was the boys would take my dishes and I would find them outside and in the garage for their friends or for bugs or to feed wild animals or some other weird experiments sighhh lol They would even use them for "tools" and stuff.

Quoting MethuenMom:

1.  The chew and screw.  I'm so glad that they cook for themselves at times but do they really need to leave the carton of eggs out.  Do they need to leave a dirty knife on the counter.  The pan goes in the sink you know!

2.  The invisible laundry.  I've washed, dried, folded and put the laundry on the bed.  I'm done right?  How come the next day there is another 2 loads to wash?  How is that possible!

3.  The science experiment.  I don't have a strict rule about eating at the kitchen table, but when dishes go missing I get that sick feeling in my stomach because I dread the words that are about to come out of my mouth 'Stop what you're doing and bring every dish down here now'! 

4.  The mutant animal.  The kids don't need a bunny because for some reason I could sweep, vacuum and dust and still find dust bunnies everywhere.  Apparently I am the only one that can see them because no one ever mentions that fuzzy thing in the corner that grows by the minute.

earthangel1967
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Another thing I hated is when the teens DID put the dishes in the dishwasher ... It was almost worse than when they didn't because no matter how many times I showed them how to fill the dishwasher for optimal dish cleaning.. they would put the dishes in there all crazy or stacked or little things on top of big things or  spoons nestled together .. agghhhh lol

Quoting LadyBast:

All of the above..

Not adding dirty dishes to the dishwasher what is so hard, open it and put it in I hate this one the worst I think..

Everyone gets laundry where it goes, we all do that together but cooking I do most all of it and then I get stuck cleaning up, this is going to stop too!

earthangel1967
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:47 PM

bakingOhhh yummy! I bet your family will be happy to overlook some undone chores when they get to indulge in the baked goods you are making. : ) Plus they are darn lucky you do them instead of delegating in the first place.

Quoting BonitaM:

I'm the only one who does any of these chores but I admit at one time or another I have committed all of these crimes.  Today is one of them as my house is a disaster as I am on a baking frenzy I'll make up for it tomorrow or Friday. 

DH used to do his own laundry (work clothes) and thought he'd do me a favor and top off the load with some of my clothes.  Well, my favorite white jeans with his oil infused work clothes was not a good match; so now I do all of the laundry. lol 

earthangel1967
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:48 PM

hahaha

Quoting committed4ever: My favorite from the hubs (who is so proud that he has learned to cook ONE thing: cheese and eggs): "I wasn't sure if you wanted me to wash the pan or put it in the dishwasher so I just left it on the stove."

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Well thank you, although the baking is mostly for me and the freezer.  DH isn't a big fan of baked goods, although if I did put them in front of him he would eat them and DD is very picky on which ones she likes.  I'm the cookie monster.  I really felt like baking and I figured I'd freeze all of that for when I want a treat and don't feel like baking. lol 

Quoting earthangel1967:

bakingOhhh yummy! I bet your family will be happy to overlook some undone chores when they get to indulge in the baked goods you are making. : ) Plus they are darn lucky you do them instead of delegating in the first place.

Quoting BonitaM:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)