Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trying to plan our 5 year anniversary. .. HELP!

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:29 PM
  • 19 Replies
Dh and I will be married 5 years in May. We had a quick shotgun wedding and no real reception or honeymoon or anytning but at the time that suited us. We live in the middle of a corn field in North Central illinois. We want to go somewhere away just the two of us for 3-5 days depending on price and etc. We want to spend less than a total of $2,000 on everything. We have no idea where to go??? Where do you recommend?
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM

what kind of things do you like to do ?

addiesmommy1109
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:34 PM
I have no idea haha that's where we are struggling! We have pretty different hobbies and haven't really ever traveled anywhere to know what we like!

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

what kind of things do you like to do ?

Fayanne
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:44 PM

well, first you need to decide what kind of activities you want to do, then figure out where to go.

shopping? hiking? antiques? museums? zoos? famous landmarks?

you need to talk to HIM about that, then just google 'getaway ideas near Central Illinois' or wherever you want to go. Bed and Breakfasts are fun, if you're in to that.

addiesmommy1109
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:46 PM
We want to do something that we normally don't get a chance to do. We go to zoos and museums often with the kids. We've never been to any famous landmarks. We've been to st Louis, Wisconsin dells and obviously chicago before with the kids. We want to see what other couples have ffound they enjoyed doing together and where.

Quoting Fayanne:

well, first you need to decide what kind of activities you want to do, then figure out where to go.

shopping? hiking? antiques? museums? zoos? famous landmarks?

you need to talk to HIM about that, then just google 'getaway ideas near Central Illinois' or wherever you want to go. Bed and Breakfasts are fun, if you're in to that.

raefmom
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:54 PM

DH and I went away for a long weekend in Banson, Missori. We also spent a week when our son was 2. We loved it. There is so much to do, depending on what you are into. We drove and would spend time just driving and enjoy the scenery. 

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

how about a beach on East coast ? NC down to FL would be warm enough .  Chicago to either Miami/ ft lauderdale, or Tampa are less then $300. There are some nice reasonably priced beach hotels with tiki huts where you can drink by the pool or walk past the pool onto the beach. They usually have live beach music.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Michigan isn't that far from you. Have you ever been to the Upper Peninsula to Mackinac Island? It can be a very romantic weekend. It's a popular honeymoon destination for a reason.  It's beautiful and quaint and scenic. You get to go across the Mackinaw Bridge, You can stay at  one of the hotels on the island (most famous is the Grand Hotel) or save money and stay in hotel on the mainland and just visit the island. You take ferries out to the  island, they have a few to choose from, you can bring your own bikes or rent them on the island. There are NO CARS Trucks motorized vehicles, motorcycles allowed on the island, Everyone walks or you rent bikes (they also have tandem bikes! : )  You can go on horse and carriage rides. You can go for walks. They sell all different flavors of amazingly awesome Famous Mackinac Island Fudge. A lot of the shops give free samples too.  Also another delicious regional food you would want to eat while there are pasties! So yummy (if you get them I highly reccomend putting lots of butter on it when you cut it open and a dash of salt I think  that makes them even ore awesome!) They are pastries filled with your choice of meats, veggies and some cheese. http://www.mackinawpastie.com/

The fudge shops will be all over the place on the mainland in Mackinac City and also on Mackinac Island. There is a historical fort and encampment you can tour thru  on the mainland too. 

On the island there all sorts of quaint and fun and yummy shops and novelty places, even a haunted house to go through if you want to.  There are little chapels and other buildings to go inside and tour and a butterfly house where you walk thru and there are butterflies everywhere.  We like to rent a bike and ride all the way around the island to see a lot of scenic points too. 

OH and if you want adventure, one of the  things we did when we went is made reservations to go PARASAILING 600 ft into the air off the back of a boat by the beautiful bridge. I was too scared but Todd and our kids said it was absolutely awesome! You can get video taped doing so and keep the video tape too, which we did. http://www.mackinawparasailing.com/

Some other fun things very short drive nearby are 

Mystery Spot in St. Ignace 

You can go on the Mystery spot tour (so fun! as pictured below)

http://www.mysteryspotstignace.com/

Maze in the woods

18 hole mini golf

and 

ziplining which is so much fun and more adventure! 

Just google things to to do in Mackinac City and  things to do on mackinac Island. 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

LadyBast
by Brenda on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Find something you both like and just take a nice long weekend for just you get a nice hotel room and enjoy, buy each other something special and dress up and just have some fun!

Veora
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Las Vegas 

caham
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:20 PM

I am in central IL. Are you wanting something close by? Galena is a nice for a weekend stay, Lake Geneva is also. Mackinac Island in MI is where we went on our honeymoon because neither of us could take much time off. My favorite place to vacation is Kiity Hawk, NC or anywhere in the outer banks.

Christine - Group Owner Home Decor and So Much More!

Looking to get your Sexy Back? In as little as 45 Minutes, I can show you how!! Message me for more details. https://christinecunningham.myitworks.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)