Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Bridal Shower, embarrassed! HELP!

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:28 PM
  • 12 Replies

My older cousins are wanting to throw me a bridal shower. It's extremely sweet of them and of couse like anyone would be, I'm apprieciative and love parties. The only thing is.... I don't really have that many people for them to invite. My mother, my aunt-in-law (my mother and her hate eachother), a cousin-in-law I don't know very well, a cousin I've grown distant from, and another aunt-in-law I'm not close to. 5 people? Probably 4 since two of them hate eachother? I'm not a gift beggar and I'm worried if that seems like a small amount of people that its just going to make them feel very obligated to throw gifts at me. Should I say thanks but no thanks and explain why? Should i go through with it? What the heck do I do or say?

**UPDATE** I said thank you very much but no thanks. I told them the truth that i don't have many female friends and family that would come. I read around online and it seems like a lot of women don't like having them anyways. I think I'd probably fall in to that group. I love gifting to other people but it's really awkward to me (weird i know) to be gifted something so I don't think I'd feel to comfortable in the center of the room opening gifts. I'll just set up an empty table for optional gifts at the wedding and send out thank you cards to everyone. **But if you've been offered a bridal shower and its your thing...Have fun and enjoy it!

by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess829
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't feel worthy of a shower thanks to my mom. You have people who love you enough to throw you a shower. Let them and enjoy it. I regret not enjoying mine better.
Krysden
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Go through with it.  It doesn't matter if it's just a few people, it's to celebrate & have fun.  

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:21 AM

If it makes you feel better, you could tell them how much you appreciate it (like you told us) and what you are worried about (like you  told us ) and ask them their opinion on it. 

Good luck

View Full Size Image YVONNE

deadlights86
by Emily on Feb. 19, 2014 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this
As always I agree with Yvonne.

Quoting earthangel1967:

If it makes you feel better, you could tell them how much you appreciate it (like you told us) and what you are worried about (like you  told us ) and ask them their opinion on it. 

Good luck

withsecond
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:58 AM

I'd just let them throw it. People won't feel obligated to get you more just because there aren't too many people there. They'll bring their gift and have fun hanging out. 

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Any friends or coworkers? How about people on the grooms side? Sometimes small showers can be more intimate  and fun. Congrats on the Wedding!

serenitycat
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:17 AM

It might be fun if just a small group of these friends and families went to lunch together -

second marriage shower...my friend invited me to lunch - she surprized me and had about 8 of my friends there, my sister did another night with about 10 people including family.  It was fun and relaxed. 

LadyBast
by Brenda on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I got one but it was very small and only family I did not like it much I am like you I had only a couple friends so it was very awkward for me also!! But we did let the guys come so it was more a couples shower and that worked for us but still not me at all...

Serenity7
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Do what you feel is best

bx4life
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 6:21 PM

well you could have invited the women from your soon to be hubby side of the family its like a small meet and greet plus bridal showers are usually very cordial not like a bachelorette party where it wild

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)