Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Does marriage have to have a time frame??

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:11 PM
  • 46 Replies
How long do you think people should wait to get married?? Some people wait years, some wait weeks or months! I got married to my wife about two months before our 3 year anniversary! This year will make 4 years for us and our 1st year of marriage! What do you also think about age?? What age do you think is too young or too old to get married??
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
committed4ever
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I was too young and we had not dated long enough.  I think it was the chemistry that made it work for us but I could have easily had my heart broken in pieces but you couldn't have told me that back then.  We were an accident waiting to happen but I guess that's just how much we love each other that we have a wonderful marriage.

Three years sounds good. But 3 months could work if it's the right person for you.  I was 19 when my H propose, he was 24. We were in high school together for one year, but he didn't know I was alive.  But I had a crush on him and continued to have it all through high school because his sister and I use to study together. We started dating right after I graduated high school.  

ramalamasp
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:24 PM
We'd been dating one year exactly tge day we got married. We've been married 3 years. Each couple needs to decide for themselves what works. There is no set, hard and fast rule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liveforever
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:26 PM
The thing about marriage is there's no universal right age or time.

My parents met in February and married in November. My mom was 20, dad was 23. They're still happily married 34 years later.

Dh and I started dating at 19 and didn't marry until 7 years later.

I think dating for at least a year is good...and as for age I'd say be able to legally drink at your wedding lol
BonitaM
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:31 PM

I don't think there are any limits.  It really just depends on the couple.  I wouldn't have waited much longer than a year for DH.  Heck, that felt like a lifetime to me to get the commitment I needed from him.  I wanted to marry him the first day I met him; and I did tell him that too. lol  I was 19 when we got married and for me that was the perfect age.  We lived it up a few years then had our daughter when we were 23 (me) and 25 (him).  For us it worked out wonderfully. 

WishingonaBaby1
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Quoting committed4ever:

I was too young and we had not dated long enough.  I think it was the chemistry that made it work for us but I could have easily had my heart broken in pieces but you couldn't have told me that back then.  We were an accident waiting to happen but I guess that's just how much we love each other that we have a wonderful marriage.

Three years sounds good. But 3 months could work if it's the right person for you.  I was 19 when my H propose, he was 24. We were in high school together for one year, but he didn't know I was alive.  But I had a crush on him and continued to have it all through high school because his sister and I use to study together. We started dating right after I graduated high school.  

Awe that's so sweet! I think as long as your legal and you know the love is real and true why not because life is so short you have to be happy! I'm 23 and my wife is 19 about to be 20.. people always say were too young but we've been together a long time and we both knew and know this is forever so we wanted to get married and we're happy!
WishingonaBaby1
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting BonitaM:

I don't think there are any limits.  It really just depends on the couple.  I wouldn't have waited much longer than a year for DH.  Heck, that felt like a lifetime to me to get the commitment I needed from him.  I wanted to marry him the first day I met him; and I did tell him that too. lol  I was 19 when we got married and for me that was the perfect age.  We lived it up a few years then had our daughter when we were 23 (me) and 25 (him).  For us it worked out wonderfully. 

Aweeeee i love romance lol!! That's so sweet!! I didn't know i was going to marry my wife at all lol because when we first met i didn't even want to like her because she was younger than me, but she kept trying and i couldn't stop thinking about her she was mature nothing like i expected she won me over lol!! N now we've been together almost 4 years and married for 8months this month!!
WishingonaBaby1
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Quoting liveforever: The thing about marriage is there's no universal right age or time.

My parents met in February and married in November. My mom was 20, dad was 23. They're still happily married 34 years later.

Dh and I started dating at 19 and didn't marry until 7 years later.

I think dating for at least a year is good...and as for age I'd say be able to legally drink at your wedding lol
Yeah lol! Well my wife is only 19 about to be 20 and we got married back in june she can't legally drink, but she got wasted lol. Threw up and i had to clean it up in my dress! I mostly wrote this post because people are always saying we're too young and i think that's dumb and also because the guy from the movie the green mile married a 16 year old and he's in his 50s i think that's disgusting they're gettin divorced now!
WishingonaBaby1
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:51 PM
Quoting ramalamasp: We'd been dating one year exactly tge day we got married. We've been married 3 years. Each couple needs to decide for themselves what works. There is no set, hard and fast rule.
That's so cute! And your right!
Brattzilla
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:58 PM

It is truly going to depend on the couple, and if there are any past issues to work through before taking that ultimate leap....  My dh and I waited almost 5yrs before we were 110% ready to get married.  I even asked him the night before our wedding... "are you 110% sure you are ready to do this... if you are not, i wont be hurt or upset...I would rather you tell me now..than feel you have to marry me out of some obligation."  We both had / have a terrible past and we wanted to be sure that we had overcome any and all personal issues.

So glad we waited so long for us to know, for sure..We were absolutely ready! 

WishingonaBaby1
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Quoting Brattzilla:

It is truly going to depend on the couple, and if there are any past issues to work through before taking that ultimate leap....  My dh and I waited almost 5yrs before we were 110% ready to get married.  I even asked him the night before our wedding... "are you 110% sure you are ready to do this... if you are not, i wont be hurt or upset...I would rather you tell me now..than feel you have to marry me out of some obligation."  We both had / have a terrible past and we wanted to be sure that we had overcome any and all personal issues.

So glad we waited so long for us to know, for sure..We were absolutely ready! 

Awee!! I think when ever your ready is right. It's good you both wanted to be sure!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)