Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

how do you deal with this?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM
  • 43 Replies

My inlaws say grace before each and every meal. I have no problem with it, just because we dont practice doesnt mean that they cant continue practicing.

Anyway to my point, since my husband and I dont practice and they do would you make your child wait to eat while they say grace?

My son is 20 months old and doesnt understand why he has to wait when my inlaws are here to eat. I get looks when I say he is an exception. When he is older and can understand why he has to wait I will have no problem making him wait the few minutes it takes for them. But since we don't practice and he is hungry I just let him eat. My husband and I talked about this last night since I have been having a crap load of random thoughts lol He said he never noticed his parents having a problem with our son just eating but then again his head is down.

Proud mommy of 1 special angel and 2 boys :-) I am love animals, dogs & horses are my favorites. I am the kind of person that you would consider weird and that is okay by me :D I am interested in the why of things not just the how. I also ask the most random questions like why is it considered littering when it is biodegradable?
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd just make him wait.  A couple minutes won't kill him.  I'm not religious at all but when I'm at someone's home and they do say grace I make sure to respect that. 

Anryan
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

i guess to me, while i am pagan and my extended family is Christian, i am respectful of thier beliefs and thier customs.  i don't expect them to pray at the table but i do expect them to sit with thier hands in thier laps and wait for them to be finished before eating. 

When my kids were toddlers, i would give them an ice cube on thier high chair tray to keep them entertained while we did this....or any other distraction.

Anryan,

Wife to.....

David    and   Irish

JRSMOM0621
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I meant at your own home.. sorry should have put that in the original post. Inlaws never actually eat at home they eat out all the time.

Quoting BonitaM:

I'd just make him wait.  A couple minutes won't kill him.  I'm not religious at all but when I'm at someone's home and they do say grace I make sure to respect that. 

Proud mommy of 1 special angel and 2 boys :-) I am love animals, dogs & horses are my favorites. I am the kind of person that you would consider weird and that is okay by me :D I am interested in the why of things not just the how. I also ask the most random questions like why is it considered littering when it is biodegradable?
JRSMOM0621
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Never even thought of the ice cub idea. We dont generally allow toys at the table so that ice cube thing might just work.

Quoting Anryan:

i guess to me, while i am pagan and my extended family is Christian, i am respectful of thier beliefs and thier customs.  i don't expect them to pray at the table but i do expect them to sit with thier hands in thier laps and wait for them to be finished before eating. 

When my kids were toddlers, i would give them an ice cube on thier high chair tray to keep them entertained while we did this....or any other distraction.

Anryan
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

i liked the ice cube because it pretty well sticks to the high chair tray, they can't pick it up cause it slides everywhere and keeps them distracted for the amount of time needed, :O)

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

Never even thought of the ice cub idea. We dont generally allow toys at the table so that ice cube thing might just work.

Quoting Anryan:

Anryan,

Wife to.....

David    and   Irish

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:25 AM

In our home we always serve our guests first or let them serve themselves.  We wouldn't eat until they have begun or something to the effect of, "bon appetit" is said; so we would still wait for them to finish saying grace. 

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

I meant at your own home.. sorry should have put that in the original post. Inlaws never actually eat at home they eat out all the time.

Quoting BonitaM:

lapcounter
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes our children would be made to wait, it's the respectful thing to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mantidae
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM

We aren't Christian, but we do pray at meals.  I never made my son wait until he was old enough to understand why (he is now 3).  I say let the hungry baby eat! 

jamamama00
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Good God, how long does it take for them to say "Grace?" My husband's family does it in seconds.

JRSMOM0621
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM

They wait until everyone has food infront of them THEN say grace. Its kinda long for them, they say a verse (I'm guessing I'm not really sure) then say thank you for family (name each person) and for the food. Oh and now that I'm pregnant again they pray for a healthy baby which they do if anyone is pregnant sitting at the table.

Quoting jamamama00:

Good God, how long does it take for them to say "Grace?" My husband's family does it in seconds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN