Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

6 Secrets of What Makes a Happy Marriage - Will these save your marriage?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:01 AM
  • 13 Replies

6 Secrets of What Makes a Happy Marriage

by Ericka Sóuter

coupleThe secret to a happy marriage has long alluded couples? The staggering divorce rate is certainly proof of that. The traditional way our grandparents went about married life just doesn't work these days. So what does? Mystery solved thanks to the folks over at Happify. They have discovered the Science Behind a Happy Relationship. It's actually a recipe for how to make your marriage last and you know what, it just may work. Take notes!

Some facts didn't come as a huge surprise. For example, that having a friendship with your spouse creates more satisfaction when it comes to love, sex, romance, and passion. Though, you may be stunned to find out just how much sex you need to have to keep out of divorce court. 

Bedroom Behavior  The happiest couples get it on 2 to 3 times a week. But if that's too much nookie for you, those who had sex even once a week had more positive feelings about their marriage than those that didn't.

Pat on the Back The strongest couples openly celebrate each other's good news and triumphs.  They show enthusiasm, ask questions, and offer sincere congratulations.

Explore Nothing bonds you like experiencing new things, whether that be sky diving or traveling to a new country. Couples who did this report feeling more loved and supported.

Crack Each Other Up If you can't recall a moment where you shared a laugh, you are in trouble. Couples who share funny memories have better relationships. 

Your Fighting Style Matters Happy couples show humor, express affection, and concede on certain points when they argue. This diffuses tension, making for an easier way to resolution. Unhappy couples criticize, show contempt, roll their eyes, act defensively, and name call.

The Little Ones The happiest couples don't have children. Sad, but true. It easy to see why, though. The responsibilities of kids and family are an endless source of stresses that can weigh heavily on a relationship. For those that do have kids 67% who reported a drop in happiness leves. But all hope is not lost. Marriage satisfaction rose once the kids were grown and out of the house!

Take a look at Happify's amazing infographic. It lays it all out.

The Science Behind a Happy Relationship by Happify.com

Do you think any of these will save your marriage?

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:18 AM
I don't think my marriage .reds saving, but I wish Dh would show a bit more interest in my life. And by that, I mean any interest at all.
LadyBast
by Brenda on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Yes if you apply them and work at it!

DanaG70
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband and I apply most of these to our marriage, and up until recently, the sex, but after nearly 14 years of being and health problems that has waned quite a bit.

We are still very happy together, we communicate well for the most part and make sure we make time for each other and our marriage.

One of our biggest things is that we put our marriage first. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Interesting!

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like my marriage. 17 years and we're happier and more fulfilled every year. Learned a lot of these things from the books "The 5 Love Languages" and "His Needs, Her Needs".

BonitaM
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I don't think that my marriage needs saving but these are great tips to keep in mind. 

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:00 PM

This mirrors my marriage! Love it!

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Same here!

We never read those books. But I heard they are great! 

Quoting JC2223:

Sounds like my marriage. 17 years and we're happier and more fulfilled every year. Learned a lot of these things from the books "The 5 Love Languages" and "His Needs, Her Needs".

Brattzilla
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

These are great ideas, and i cant say we "explore' the world.. We both like our comfort zones, and we dont venture to far away from that lol  As far as a couple with no kids being happiest.. i can see why.  We are a "blended" family...He has 1, I have 3  ; 1 has left the nest........ 3 remain.   My children are here most of the time, but they are all on the same alternate weekend schedule.   I must admit, the weekends with no children, are our BEST weekends LOL  (we do not , and will not, have children together---we have 2 dogs as "our" children! lol) 

1squishysmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:33 PM

We have been happily married for 22 years. The happiness part did go down a bit when the boys were small. My husband seemed overwhelmed by the action in the house all the time.

Now that the youngest is 17, we are happier than we have ever been. We support each other and we never have fought. There have been small disagreements, but we always handled it in a joking manner. I HATE fighting, so that part is great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)