Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Did you or someone you know face disaster BEFORE the wedding?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:42 AM
  • 21 Replies

5 Worst Things That Happened to Couples Before Their Weddings

by Ericka Sóuter

upset brideAnyone who's planned a wedding knows the kind of stress that creates. Finding the perfect venue, how much to spend on flower arrangements, do you sit your feuding, divorced parents at the same table? However, those issues pale in comparison to what some couples go through. For a select, very unfortunate few, "wedding disaster" means something infinitely worse than a crappy DJ. Here are the stories of five unlucky couples.

1. Wedding debt is a nightmare for newlyweds. So it's understandable that Christina Scheuplein and her fiance Ray De Santiago wanted to pay for as much as they could with cash. So in the week leading up to their big day, they took out the $6,000 they had saved. Though just days before the wedding, they were robbed and all the cash was stolen. Out with the cash went their dream wedding. Fortunately, they had a tech-savvy best man who started a GoFundMe page for the couple, and they were able to exceed their $6,000 goal.
  2. The morning of her wedding, a bride-to-be in Kent, Washington had her $6,000 gown stolen from her car. Yes. The Dress. Arguably the most important part of the entire ceremony (at least from the bride's perspective). A 911 dispatcher saved the day by offering to lend the distraught woman the dress she had worn at her own wedding just 18 months earlier. As fate would have it, both dresses were purchased at the same store and the women happened to be the same size.
  3. Yes, the day is all about the bride, but it wouldn't be as special without those faithful bridesmaids. So you can understand the horror of hearing that five members of the wedding party were injured in a head-on collision. Luckily, they escaped serious harm and were treated at the hospital for broken bones and non-life-threatening injuries.
  4. A week before his wedding, Bill Murray boarded a boat with his future father-in-law. Together, they would sail from Lake Worth, Florida to the Bahamas where the wedding was to take place. But a crazy storm turned the usually seven-hour trip into a nightmare. The engines and radio went dead and they were lost at sea. After 40 hours adrift, they were spotted by a cargo ship and rescued.
  5. An Augusta, Georgia couple lost everything in a house fire one month before their nuptials. One of the few things that was amazingly left unscorched was a Bible verse that read, "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." That sentiment has kept the couple's spirits high. They feel that may have lost their things, but they still have each other.

Do you have a story to share about a bride and groom who faced a pre-wedding disaster?

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
withsecond
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Ummmm, what happened to 1 and 2?

lasombrs
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:13 AM
I was badly injured at work 4 days before my wedding. Head trauma and permanent nerve damage behind my left eye. I don't recall a second of my wedding at all :/ I had to beg doctors to let me do everything because all the guests were flying from Boston to us in Orlando and it could not be changed so short notice. Luckily I had no outward damage or bruises so looking at our photos you can't tell
furbabymum
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:16 AM

My sister and one of my bridesmaids ran away with her boyfriend a week and a half before my wedding. My family was obviously distraught. My mom was also convinced she'd never miss my wedding. As such I had to quickly ask my new SIL to be a bridesmaid and thankfully she fit in the dress. My sister was gone for 3 weeks. That's what we spent our premarriage counseling talking about. lol

mamak3211
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM
This isn't terrible but I was really sick for about the whole month before my wedding. Lost 15 lbs my dress had to be altered last minute. And still didn't fit as well as before. I felt sick throughout my whole reception but other than rhat everything was perfect so I can't complain. It's been another month since my wedding and dr's still don't know what is wrong. They all thought it was stress even though I knew it wasn't.
Nai_Nai
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I was supposed to get married outside but it had rained for like the whole freaking month before my wedding :( Good thing the Ophera house we were using as the reception place was available for us to use all day, so we just got married there. We were the first couple to get married at the Ophera house. it was georeous but so was the park we were supposed to get married in. :( Oh well. But the worst thing to happen to us before the wedding was my Aunt passed away june 29th, and my wedding was june 30th and my uncle told me not to come to the funeral because my aunt tina wouldn't have wanted me to miss my honeymoon. It was hard to walk back up the isle with my husband and not see here sitting there :(

squeekers
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM

a friend of ours, his fiance' was killed by a drunk driver the friday night before their weekend wedding. she'd been given leave to get married that Saturday and the military chaplain broke the news.

Fayanne
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 5:12 PM

the df was badly burned (scalded)  over 29% of his body about 8 months before the wedding

MomToovey
by Marianne on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:12 PM

No, but we did have a tragedy strike shortly after. We returned home from our honeymoon 2 weeks after our wedding day. 4 days later, we got a call that his cousin was killed in Iraq. :( That was a very hard 2 weeks for us as we traveled back for the services.

MyNameIs-
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM
Wow, sounds scary. Glad you're ok. I'm kinda surprised you were able to sign the marriage licence if you were so injured you can't remember it. It's a legal document. Glad it still worked out.

Quoting lasombrs: I was badly injured at work 4 days before my wedding. Head trauma and permanent nerve damage behind my left eye. I don't recall a second of my wedding at all :/ I had to beg doctors to let me do everything because all the guests were flying from Boston to us in Orlando and it could not be changed so short notice. Luckily I had no outward damage or bruises so looking at our photos you can't tell
MyNameIs-
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:59 PM
That's terrible. So sad!

Quoting squeekers:

a friend of ours, his fiance' was killed by a drunk driver the friday night before their weekend wedding. she'd been given leave to get married that Saturday and the military chaplain broke the news.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN