Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

'Letting Yourself Go' After Your Wedding Is for the Best

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM
  • 22 Replies

'Letting Yourself Go' After Your Wedding Is for the Best

by Maressa Brown

woman waterfallWith my first wedding anniversary rapidly approaching, my personal trainer and I were reminiscing the other day. She noted how this time last year, I was "more active." Because I've striven to keep up my workout routine since saying "I do," I immediately got defensive. But she was right. From training sessions to barre classes, spinning classes to logging cardio time on my own, I was working out as much as twice in a day some days and definitely up to six times a week. I was on fire, and it showed. But I have slowed down since the Big Day came and went. And after briefly beating myself up and feeling like a failure, I realized not going as hard as before is totally normal -- and completely okay.

The brutally honest reality is that most brides do "let themselves go" after the wedding. Because we basically set ourselves up to!

The tendency for most brides-to-be is to go to extremes before the wedding day. Now, I'm not talking only about insane plans like the "feeding tube" diet or other glorified starvation techniques. It's perfectly common to go to the nth degree with a healthy strategy, like working out twice a day every day of the week (maybe you give yourself one rest day) or pretty much cutting out carbs/sugar. That's deemed acceptable. And I was totally right there. Like most brides, I wanted to feel like I had done everything I possibly could to look my best on that extremely well-documented day.

More from The Stir: 8 Ways to Stay in Shape After Your Wedding Day

But after that pressure is off and the sense of urgency is gone, you can chill a bit. I'm not saying slipping back into nasty habits, because you sealed the deal. That's ridiculous in its own right, because there are a slew of reasons to want to stay fit after you're married (like if trying for a baby is in the cards, a healthy pregnancy!). All I mean is that there's no harm in dialing down, backing off, taking the intensity level down a notch. Especially if that means you'll keep it up!

Because, more often than not, that hardcore "pre-wedding workout push" is usually not sustainable. And the best fitness plans, that we'll actually stick with in the long-haul, are. I realized I am fine with working out less frequently or perhaps a bit less intensely as long as I can maintain consistency. I'd rather not go so hard that I burn out or get injured. I realized I needed to update my routine to fit my life now. That means no pricey barre classes, but lots more yoga -- with friends! Still spinning and training, but maybe not coming back for a second workout later on that evening, because I want to be home to cook a healthy dinner with my husband.

It's unfortunate that brides-to-be are bombarded with talk that makes us see the wedding as the endgame. The truth is that the wedding is only the beginning of what most of us hope will be a happy, healthy new chapter with our partner. I really believe that means striking a balance and adopting a lifestyle you can stick to -- even if that means "letting yourself go" ... just a little bit.

How did your pre-wedding workout compare to after? Do you agree most pre-wedding workout plans are unsustainable and balance is key for the long-haul?

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isaacsmommy68
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Pre and Post wedding didnt change. Pre and Post baby did.

myloveismyfaith
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:50 AM
I can't say that my habits have lessened. For my wedding it was my husband requested that I actually put on some weight. I definitely workout more, or at least try to workout more, now than before the I do's.
committed4ever
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Pre wedding I was 20 and still had my high school figure. I promptly gaint about 20 lbs from doing a lot of cooking for my DH. After me complaining and complaining for a year about my weight, even while he was telling me he didn't mind it, he took matters into his own hands and started dragging me to the gym with him. I was in the best shape of my life, a little heavier than wedding day but so much more toned and in good physical shape and very strong. Then I had a baby last year. It's been almost 6 months and I am just beginning to get back into my clothes pre baby. I am in goodphysical shape and well toned but my weight is about 5 lbs more from pre baby. The last 10 lbs has been the hardest.
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:53 AM
I've never worked out on purpose a day in my life and I'm 34. LOL I look the same as I did at 18.
withsecond
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:19 AM
I was fat before the wedding and got fatter after because I had two more kids. lol
He loves me no matter what size I am.
I'm trying to lose weight now but it's for me, not him. Well, partially him but mostly for me.
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Mar. 18, 2014 at 2:44 PM
I never qworked out before we were married I was thin! Not meaning I didn't need to work out, almost 18yrs. it wasn't that popular,now everyone I know is doing a workout regiment including myself!
Runner36
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I am actually in much better shape 11 years later than I was on my wedding day.  I was a size 10 when I got married and I am a size 4 now...with perkier boobs ;)

UCFknight
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I weigh less today than I did on my wedding day almost 11 years ago. With two kids, I am much more active. I love my figure, and so does my husband! My love for Zumba has probably also helped.

Fayanne
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 7:58 PM
2 moms liked this

is there supposed to be a pre-wedding workout???? holy crap..

KatLee42513
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:02 PM
This :)

Quoting bmw29: I've never worked out on purpose a day in my life and I'm 34. LOL I look the same as I did at 18.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN