Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Hubby put the new vehicle in his name. *EDIT

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:59 PM
  • 102 Replies
Just confused, pissed, and hurt.
We got our tax return and decided we'd spend it on a new vehicle for the family. We've been looking and looking and finally found one we both loved for an excellent price.
We go and buy it, and the guy has my husband sign the title. We have 3 kids I was trying to keep at bay, so no big deal... We can add my name on when we go to the DMV.
Okay... This morning we all get up, kiddos ready, oldest off to school, and my hubby and I and our 1 and 2 year old head off to spend the rest of our morning at the DMV. Pointless. Because when all was said and done, my husband never once asked the lady about getting my name put on the title or registration. He asked if I would go and clean one of the kids up in the bathroom and I said "don't I have to be here to sign something?"
And then when I finally asked, "so is just your name going on this?" He said "oh I'll ask...." The dmv worker said it was too late to do so.

It's probably stupid:(
I'm just upset and my husband thinks I'm being ridiculous. But if it wAs the other way around and I had taken our entire tax return and out it on a vehicle just in MY name, he would have been beyond pissed too!!!!!!!
Ugh:/ we're both off today and we usually love family days together..... I just can't get over how he's mad at ME now.

Ugh!!!!!!!!!!

**thankyou for all the responses. I'm glad there's a place to vent here on cafe mom so that certain arguments don't turn into bigger issues in our relationships~ sometimes we just need a place to let it all out and let things go:)

To all of the women who say it's no big deal and their spouses have all the vehicles in their name, or vice-versa..... DIDNT YOU KNOW GOING INTO IT THAT THAT WOULD BE THE CASE??
If my husband and I had discussed his name only being on it, I wouldn't have had an issue. But we went into this together, we've always done this sort of thing together.... So honestly, I didn't think twice about it and perhaps I just assumed more than I should.
No I'm not worried about him leaving me or anything like that. It was just the fact of the matter. Money doesn't come easy to us. This was a big decision and a big deal for our family. We don't go out and buy cars all the time. We both work long and hard for the money we make.

It's not something that can't be fixed, I understand that. Just another hassle I hate making time for.

Thankyou all again:)
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cntrdmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this
If be pissed about the double standard here. However our only vehicle is in MY maiden name. When he realized that he was a little pissed. I told him if it was a big deal he could do all the paperwork to change the title. Lol. Oh the car I used to drive was in his name. We sold it though. As far as who's name it's in I don't care except he never handles anything that's paperwork related. So I NEED that access.
If it's a big deal then tell him you want your name added, you get all forms together and ready so all he does is sign them, and make it happen. Men can be control freaks sometimes.
The way he handled it all was pretty crappy. I totally agree there.
jacobsmommy84
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
That's it, I guess...... It's not something that can't be fixed.... It's just going to be a pointless hassle. And it could have been done all in one shot the first time.
I'm a planner. He's not. I get that..... But I'm sorry, it's just that the tax return belonged to the both of us.... And I never thought it would go any other way. I personally would never have let that happen if the roles were reversed.

Ugh!!! Time to just suck it up and fix the problem :)~

Quoting cntrdmom: If be pissed about the double standard here. However our only vehicle is in MY maiden name. When he realized that he was a little pissed. I told him if it was a big deal he could do all the paperwork to change the title. Lol. Oh the car I used to drive was in his name. We sold it though. As far as who's name it's in I don't care except he never handles anything that's paperwork related. So I NEED that access.
If it's a big deal then tell him you want your name added, you get all forms together and ready so all he does is sign them, and make it happen. Men can be control freaks sometimes.
The way he handled it all was pretty crappy. I totally agree there.
cntrdmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM
My husband doesn't always think to include my name on stuff either. I have a power of attorney just for that too. Lol. The idea though is that everything is shared between us so as long as that's the case I try not to care too much. I put my name on everything I can because like I said he doesn't do paperwork or even phone calls. Then just in case I keep that POA handy. I had to use it to sell the car actually because he was out of town when I sold it.
lillybug222
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:29 PM
5 moms liked this
We've bought vehicles over the years in just one of our names. I guess I don't see the big deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennybenny01
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Same here.

Quoting lillybug222: We've bought vehicles over the years in just one of our names. I guess I don't see the big deal.
Fayanne
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

hmmmm... wouldn't thrill me.. don't know that I'd be pissed, though. As long as you stay married, in the long run it shouldn't matter. Or..unless he's petty and uses it in arguments ("Because it's MY car", etc)

MagicTemptation
by Christina on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

You can have it changed to add your name. Maybe the DMV lady already sumbited the paperwork? But once the new title comes in, DH and you can go and add your name to it. 

JessiFaye
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

You can get it changed eventually.

Both of our cars are in just my name... it was easier, to be honest. It doesn't matter to either of us... but if it's important to you, you can get added to the title after the fact.

nebcutie
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:53 PM
I think all 5 of our cars are in just my name... one is my BIL car too. We never worry about it cause what is there to worry about.
vwd_johnson
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Why do you want your name on it so bad?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)