Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Do you often disagree with your SO?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:30 AM
  • 52 Replies

How often do you and your SO disagree about something...whether it is politics, parenting or what to do for fun?  And if/when you do disagree does one get more upset than the other?  

I have many examples of disagreements in my life...I will expand when I have a few more minutes...but for now I would love to know your experience with disagreeing and not being on the same page as your SO.

Oooo...Featured...Rock On!!!

ETA:  Okay, so this is why I got to thinking about disagreements.  Dh and I disagree about a lot of things.  This morning was just another example.  The Today Show did a blurb about Hobby Lobby and their Supreme court case that is being argued today.  anyway, we are on opposing sides...although I CAN take a step back and see BOTH sides.  Dh gets quite upset when I disagree with his point of view and then gets upset for the rest of the day with me.  He went to work and sent me links to articles about the topic at hand.  I don't know enough about this particular thing to have a successful debate and I told him as much.  But it is like this on everything that we disagree about.  I don't get that upset...since I think everyone has a right to his/her own opinion and all should be respected.  I also don't get upset if my dh and I disagree about something that has no bearing on our own lives...I am all for a lively discussion, but I don't see the point in getting upset with dh because he doesn't agree with me (particularly when it is about something like politics).

I am really interested in reading all of your responses...thanks for giving me some insight into how others (i.e. you) deal with disagreements or even if there are disagreements.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smac28
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Actually not that often BUT it usually is about the kids. . . And when it is, its about me being "over protective" bah humbug!

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:26 AM

We disagree almost daily about one thing or another.  Politics never being one of them because we don't follow politics at all.  Also, we've never argued about parenting either.  He has his style and I have mine.  I don't interfere with his parenting and he doesn't intefere with mine.  That being said DD knows that DH is the softy. lol   I'm usually the one that gets more upset if we do get into a full force argument but most of the time it's just bickering or playful bantering and teasing.  We only really argue once every couple months or so and it's usually about lack of time spent together or spending habits.  I love to argue though and making up is a lot of fun.

tnt-manda
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Sometimes, not often. The latest has been about our grocery bill. We have three boys 11,8, & 4. He knows it's only going to get worse, but the thought of paying the same in groceries as our rent, just drives him crazy. I just laugh about it...
shadow_lark
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Daily. But its usually little stuff. We only rarely disagree on big stuff and usually we both end up unhappy
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Hmm. Very flexible, our disagreeing. Sometimes we'll have arguments several times a day, sometimes none. Most are about money as my DH is obsessed. Otherwise we tend to argue opposing points of an issue just for the fun of it.

JessiFaye
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Not too often. We're on the same page about almost all of the "big" topics. Our disagreements are usually just sparked by something little and insignificant, and hardly ever lead to actual arguments.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Arguing we don't really do,we don't disagree on parenting. And politics we have some different views but it doesn't affect us.
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I think I should modify my original reply from "argue" to discuss. We discuss, sometimes passionately. Sometimes we'll be discussing something and my DH will whip out his phone and I'll be like YEAH GOOGLE THAT SHIT! Then whoever is wrong about it concedes. lol

yellow14
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Same here

Quoting smac28:

Actually not that often BUT it usually is about the kids. . . And when it is, its about me being "over protective" bah humbug!

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:22 AM

We don't disagree very often but when we do, it never gets heated, the very worst it ever gets is a frustrated but normal volume of voice/tone.  We are always conscious that being respectful and caring of one another's feelings and rights to their opinions.  We both truly LISTEN to the other one's perspective and even though we are both very opinionated at the same time we are  both open minded people so neither are ever so stuck and stubborn in our views that we are not open to an "hmmm I never thought of it that way" moment.  We often come to a compromise of views so we both feel heard and validated and acknowledged... otherwise we agree to respectfully disagree and are on the same page that there does NOT have to be a winner or loser in a disagreement, this world and our life has enough room for us to have individual opinions even if they are total opposite of one another.  In the end, we keep in mind, what is more important... who's opinion on such and such an issue or topic is more persuasive or the way we treat and care about one another... our relationship wins every time. 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)